Sparring Lesson

Waking was a slow thing of stirring weighty limbs and raising eyelids like heavy curtains. Caprice gasped and sprang up from  where she lay. She heard voices and looked over the back of the sofa she was on. In the lounge around her, students gathered for breakfast and readied for lessons. Morning hailed outside the window where the mountain shined like a diamond. Beside her on the floor, Thierry rose with a groan.

"We were with Juri, the star shepherds. In the astronomy room."

"Yea," he grumbled, yawning and stretching. "So?"

"How are we here? I don't remember coming back at all..." As Caprice tried to recall what happened after they met the star shepherds, all that came to mind was a smattering of images, sensations, and sounds. Faint laughter. Pleasant feelings. The sight of stars wheeling and planets revolving overhead.

"Must have stayed up too late. Its easy to lose track of time between lessons." Thierry collected his things from the table and floor.

"Thierry, wait."

But he didn't, as if he hadn't heard Caprice. He was still frowning as he left, mumbling about a bath before breakfast.

~

Like thin, invisible, gluey cobwebs, the confusion and the sense that she had forgotten something that happened last night lingered and clung to her even after breakfast and a bath of her own. She was still mulling it over as Bossa and Nezzle walked her to Magical Humanities.

"Where were you, stranger? Got up this morning and you were gone."

Caprice frowned. "I went to the observatorium with my brother. We met some star shepherds there. One of them was named Juri. Do you know him?"

Bossa whistled. "Star shepherds. You don't meet one of them everyday. Hm...I might." Someone bumped into her and they looked back to see the throngs of students parting. At the head of a sizable number of followers, Alastair strode down the corridor. They moved with the crowd to avoid getting shoved aside. Bossa made a face at the lot of them. "There are plenty of more agreeable people here to meet and I've met plenty of them."

Nezzle tucked the book she'd had practically glued in front of her face into her bag. "I know Juri. He's a senior. His people are good for kicking back with all over the Astronomy Wing and getting things off your mind."

"Really?" Caprice breathed. "Thank goodness, I thought I dreamed it all. You know, meeting him and the others. I must have stayed up too late."

Professor Su greeted her at the schoolroom door. The holdup in the corridor made her one of the last students and Caprice felt a sting of irritation.

"Later, Preecy," Bossa said. She and Nezzle started off down the corridor.

"Miss Bossa," Su called. "I am relieved to see you're recovering from the injury you sustained at the placement exam. How are you mending?"

"Nearly healed, Professor."

"Glad to hear it! Inspiring, your healing capabilities. Where are you off to?"

"Er, physical—"

"Will you be demonstrating your abilities?"

She shrugged. "Likely."

"Excellent!" Professor Su turned to her students and announced, "Oh, I can't help it—such a perfect opportunity! Forget your copies of From Blettles to Blood Suckers, students. Let's, for the moment, move to blood suckers, or, rather, vampires! Miss Bossa, we will accompany you to class, if you don't mind. Everyone, let's go. Leave your things, if you like, I will lock the door."