The Contract

"Killing another student warrants a mere detention?" Thierry blurted. "Like writing lines or—"

On occasion, Alastair loudly complained about receiving detention at Rutledge School for Boys. But the little things he howled about teachers telling him to do in detention were hardly punishment for murder.

"Prospective Pupil Bilberry, you do not want detention. Your goal should be to avoid it always. Remember that," Professor Earithean said.

Wheeling around, Alastair demanded, "Is she serious?"

"I am afraid so, Master Whitehare," Skyla said with a small smile.

Facing the largest doors, Professor Earithean announced, "Now, as long as you understand, this is last, but not least or all that Oracle has to offer: The Grand Hall." She raised her arms and the mighty doors creaked open.

Caprice was thankful that this was the end of their tour. Her mind reeled from it all and there was more still to see. Drawing a deep breath, she stilled herself against any notion of finding a wall to post on.

A sudden burst of sound and aromas hit her. Beyond the doors, tall arched windows opened the room to the greenery and blue skies outside. The stucco-colored walls were warm and gentle on the eyes, unlike the stately white marble of other places they'd visited in the school. The high-ceilinged, spacious Grand Hall was full of polished tables, chairs, and stools occupied by dozens of students. Many of the students wore robes or patches on their clothes embroidered with a gold and silver emblem of wings folding around a crystal ball on a pedestal.

Earithean walked them down the isle at the center of the room. "This is where you may eat your meals and join your fellow students from all over the grounds. So. There is much more. The rest of Oracle may be explored at your leisure."

Students cast glances at them, chatting in hushed tones, as they came up the isle behind the two teachers. Even with Thierry beside her, holding his head up confidently, Caprice felt like she didn't know a single soul. Nervously, realizing she had already met two students, she turned to Nezzle.

I'll ask her what she likes about the school, Caprice thought, that's easy. It would also stop her from looking back at everyone who was staring, or hanging her head and gluing her eyes on the floor.

"What do you—"

Caprice turned to the empty air beside her. Nezzle was gone.

"She'll be back," Bossa said, winking at her.

Caprice only nodded. Mostly for want of something to say and do but also out of curiosity, she asked, "Professor, what do you teach?"

"Magikorigyn. In addition to basic Practical Sorcery and its advanced courses."

Caprice nodded though she had no notion what these subjects entailed.

The most astounding thing about the Grand Hall was the view outside the windows on the other end of it. Caprice stopped and stared at a pristine mountain rising from the trees, foot to peak, composed of shining translucent crystal. Wherever the light touched it, the visible aura of a rainbow spilled out. It was too huge and couldn't be very far from Oracle for her to see it so clearly.

"You are looking at our namesake. It has many titles. Scryer's Mountain, Seeing Glass, the Oracle's Summit," Professor Earithean gestured out the window. "It is studied primarily by senior students who pursue Augury as their discipline."

"They say its where they harvest materials to craft crystal balls and other such seeing stones," Bossa added.

"It's beautiful," Caprice murmured. There was something about the mountain that reached inside her and pulled at her core. Fascinated, she felt the urge to get closer to the enchanting sight.