The Zyall

Possessed, Mahsa and Ruro flashed from tabletop to tabletop, from tabletop to floor, Evanescing and Betiding in plumes of foggy mist, swords clashing and ringing soundly.

Mahsa and Zyall's furious dueling only stopped when their swords suddenly flew out of their hands and buried the points of their blades in the floor. They looked towards the Grand Hall doors.

Surprisingly, it was Professor Mosshue, wand drawn, who addressed them from the Main Hall, his long, dark green beard gleaming.

"That is certainly not a display the Headmaster would expect Honor's students to be putting on in front of other students. My office in five minutes, Pupil Mahsa. Pupil Zyall. Say your goodbyes."

Caprice balked as Ruro strode over to Nezzle, long wine-red vest flaring around her. She was taller than Nezzle and looked down at her with a steady and unreadable topaz eyes that were rich in an orange-ish, jewel-like hue.

"Nyrvenna Nezzle."

"Zyall Ruro."

They bowed to each other, hands cupped at their hearts. Locking eyes, they gestured outward with the same hand as if in offering then straightened.

"Bossa not with you, Nyrvenna? We always ate all our meals together."

"She's probably upstairs."

Meanwhile, Mahsa bowed to Caprice. He was about the same height as Zyall if not taller and she had to look up at him.

"Good morning, my name is Mahsa. My people are the stars shepherds."

"Oh, um, hallo." Flustered, she introduced herself. Mahsa was all bare arms, sculpted face, lean body, loose linen breeches, and bare feet. With her cheeks warming and her gaze wandering away from his, Caprice thought how very handsome and...sudden he was.

Instead of shaking the hand she put out to him, Mahsa took it in both his own and leaned down, touching his forehead to them before letting go. Caprice lowered her hand, unsure what else to do with it.

"Um, I heard that star shepherds are very wise and old even if they look young."

"That is true."

"It must be boring. Going to school, having people teach you things you already know."

He smiled. "Fate takes us down unexpected paths, ours but to walk."

She didn't know what that meant so she nodded at the mystical words and said, "I don't imagine there are loads of star shepherds about. Do you know Juri?"

"He is my brother. I had not seen him in quite some time but I knew we would meet again soon."

"So you have seen him!" That was a relief, she was beginning to think she'd imagined the entire encounter in the Astronomy Wing, even if Thierry and Merlin knew Juri was real.

"I have. We're all going to the same place. Towards the same purpose in Oracle. Until we meet again, Caprice Bilberry. I'll tell Juri you send your regards." He walked away, towards the Grand Hall doors.

Ruro started to follow but paused and turned back to them.

"Having any strange dreams lately, Nezzy?"

Nezzle stiffened. Beneath that topaz gaze and with those eerily knowing words, goosebumps chased up Caprice's arm and the hair on the back of her neck stood on end instantly.

"It starts like that, you know," Ruro said. "With a vision. Seeing something you think is a mere dream. With things you think you forgot. But that's when its almost the end. Right before it takes you."