The Seeking Spell

Caprice thumbed through the pages of her spell book. Her thoughts tied in knots as she tried to pin down the source of her unease. She remembered the conversation with Po moments ago.

Up until school here, I wasn't allowed to use magic at all.

But why—you're a witch!

Caprice thought, I'm a slave. I can't read. I was never taught 'proper magic'. Or taught magic properly. I'm not allowed either--learn nor do. How did she explain this to Po, who was obviously a free witch who'd led a free life? She thought of her home and her family, where she'd come from. Anger and frustration warred with a sense of hopelessness inside of her.

Fatefully, she stopped on the page for her upcoming lesson in basic summoning. She put her short fingernail to the first word there and leaned close. But the words blurred. Starting in her knees, a trembling worked through her, growing stronger the longer she tried to make out letters and sounds; had she been standing her legs might have given out under her. Her hands started numbing where they pressed into the book. Pain prickled her stomach and it immediately roiled and lurched, its contents shooting up her throat.

The book fell to ground as she bolted up and leaned around the statue, throwing up remnants of her lunch.

Footsteps hurried in her direction as she continued to retch. Righting herself she gulped in air, she put the back of a shaking hand to her mouth. She saw Nezzle standing beside her through teary eyes while Po was still nearly all the way across the room with her map and likely hadn't heard anything. Nezzle touched her her shoulder and peered into her face, concern etching her brow.

"Caprice, what happened?"

"It's nothing," she breathed.

With a plain look pasted on her face, Nezzle blinked.

"Should I go get Bossa?"

"No...no." Caprice laughed hoarsely, imagining what Bossa might do if she was summoned. "It's just that I tried to read the passage about this week's spellwork in my book. I got sick all of a sudden." She touched her clammy forehead with the back of her trembling hand, still feeling faint. "I don't know if it's in my head or if it's the curse. But I couldn't look at the words clearly and..."

"Take your time. Only it can tell." Belying her age, Nezzle's eyes were again full of that wisdom that Caprice had seen in them since their first meeting.

Caprice nodded but inside she bit back her frustration. "But why can't I do this? I should be able to read a simple sentence. A spell word at least..."

Nezzle shook her head. "Time," she said again. "Do you need to lie down? I can summon a ride."

"Let's wait for Po. I'm all right." Caprice pulled herself up and casually wiped her mouth. The last thing she wanted was for someone as cool and capable as Nezzle thinking she was feeble.

By the time they finished in the catacombs, dusk had fallen. Caprice felt the rise of the moon and the cover of night soon after.

"Finding those secret passageways was great, wasn't it?" Po beamed, holding her map close to her chest. "I knew there had to be some and we got four or five of them partially mapped. Too bad the one we went down was flooded."

"You never know, the water was glowing somewhere inside. It might have special properties or lead to an aqua environment," Nezzle said.

"So true!"

"You didn't get to finish again. Is that all right?" Caprice asked.

"We can always go back." Po frowned as they walked outside and said, "Why's it so dark out— Goodness, it must be late!" They hurried after her as she sped back into the Aquarian Passage, through the door leading back into the castle, and into the light of the Great Hall. "I actually have some homework to finish. But I'd love for you to come map with me again. Maybe even after lessons this week. If that's all right, of course!"