Half-Hidden

Caprice hurried back to her room from the Astronomy Wing the next mornng. "I was right, I did draw the moon in the wrong position on that chart," she grumbled. "Glad I checked..." She halted in the middle of the corridor, suddenly remembering that the assignment wasn't due until tomorrow and that she had encha, not Astronomy today. She growled in frustration at herself. "Running around for nothing."

Caprice ran a lock of her frazzled bed hair under nose. It still smelled like sweet cigarillo smoke, her savory dinner, and other sweet, sticky things. Oddly enough, honey wine and gold rush, too, though she hadn't had any of that last night (Caprice was sure some of the teachers she suspected snuck on the ship might've though). 

"You had fun with the children, didn't you. Telling them your old stories."

"I did. Should have taught classes like that a long time ago."

Those were Professor Earithean and Professor Volkorn's voices. Caprice couldn't go into the next hall without being seen by them. Her mother would pinch her ear for being so nosy but she didn't turn back either.

"Don't blame yourself. You are doing all you can," Earithean said.

"Yes I have, I think. Thank you, and thank the others as well, for not being too hard on them."

"Why... But the mandrake potion, Fahim—"

"I won't last much longer... I've arranged everything. Take care of them, Tuolo."

"We'll come out on the other side. You'll see."

A tremulous laugh.

"Or not. In which case I may see but be unawares."

Some of the softness in Earithean's voice was replaced by it's usual sternness for a moment. "Don't joke."

"Of course not."

"When it's time, go to the Gardens, just as we discussed. We will meet again, my friend."

"Yes. Thank you, Tuolo, dear friend. I'm glad it is you sending me off."

Caprice heard footsteps depart and nervously started walking again in the direction she was headed. As she turned the corner and sped towards the Main Hall's portrait, she saw one of the teachers still in the hall.

"Eh-hm, Miss Bilberry."

Caprice froze then turned in a slow horror, facing Professor Earithean.

Earithean swept over to her in dark flowing robes. She wore a brilliant green band of cloth around her throat.

"I would have a word with you and Mr. Thierry about your literacy lessons."

"That's all right, Professor. Nez—I mean, Miss Nyrvenna is teaching me. Us."

Earithean smiled at that. "Well, it solves itself, doesn't it. Pupil Nyrvenna should make an excellent and knowledgeable teacher. Do your best, Pupil Bilberry. I have confidence in you so study hard."

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you."

Just when she thought she'd been let off the hook, instead of dismissing her and leaving, Earithean leaned into her just a fraction and sniffed delicately.

She leaned back and, as she regarded her once more, Caprice was sure there was the tiniest bit of humor shimmering in her eyes.

"Hmph. Overstayed your welcome at the Mederi's last night now did you."

"I-I didn't drink or anything, professor," Caprice stammered earnestly.

"I should hope not. Don't take such a risk before my lessons or I see a few extra assignments in your future. Still in your dressing gown. Tsk. You'll be late to lessons so be off."