Resolve

Having thought about it all night long and made up her mind the next morning, Caprice waited for Nezzle in the deserted lounge, staring down at a page in her magical humanities book. As usual, she held back the growing queasiness and unease that the sight of the words and the books raised. Her roommate had risen seconds before the sun. She caught her on her way from the baths.

Locs dripping and water beading her shoulders, Nezzle stopped the moment she saw her coming over from among the sofas and armchairs.

"Good morning. I was just going back to the room—"

Without barely a breath, Caprice ambled into what she wanted to say.

"I can't read. Not much. You said if I needed help to ask. I'm asking."

Nezzle stilled, her eyes narrowing just a little.

"Don't let Nobles or Whitehare get to you."

"I know... All the same." She wanted this.

After a second, Nezzle nodded.

"If I can teach myself, I can definitely teach someone else."

"You taught yourself to read?"

"In a few different languages, yes."

Feeling miles behind, Caprice sighed.

"Don't worry about it. I'd be glad to help."

"Oh, can Thierry come, too, if he wants?"

"Of course."

"Thank you." Caprice hugged her.

"I'd rather it be me than Nobles," Nezzle returned the hug.

Wryly, Caprice smiled a little. "Me, too."

As they parted, Nezzle tucked her towel a little tighter and together they went back up the short stairs to their room.

"All right then. We'll start by learning the English alphabet. If you can recognize your own name then that means you already half-know at least a couple of them."

Sitting on the end of her bed, Caprice turned the little jar of parchment sealant around and around in her hand. Bossa was still snoozing peacefully in her hammock, about half an hour from missing breakfast before lessons.

"What's wrong, Preece?" Nezzle asked, noticing her furrowed brow as she dressed and gathered her things.

"Professor Earithean said that Po was moved to the Honor's Society. I guess I won't be seeing her anymore."

"You might still."

"Which is what you say to someone you don't want to give false hope. You and Bossa didn't even know Ruro was still around after she got moved to the Honor's Society."

"That's true... But it doesn't mean you and Po won't see each other again." Nezzle gestured at the jar in Caprice's hand. "I assume you're wanting to give her the gift you made."

"Yes," Caprice said, shoulders drooping. "I at least wanted to do that... Professor Earithean says that Po favors the Central Gardens. Honor students can't be busy all the time. Maybe she's goes there a lot."

"Then let's stop by the Central Gardens before doing our seek assignments."

Caprice looked up from the jar of sealant hopefully. "Really?"

"Yes, we'll go during lunch tomorrow, if you want."

"Thanks, Nezzle."

Sitting beside her, Nezzle bumped Caprice gently with her shoulder. Then they talked about how to wake Bossa without giving her peppy potion or getting bitten and becoming the precursor to her breakfast.

~

Caprice and Thierry tended to their Locked Moon Elixir in the catacombs. Afterward, they ate dinner together in the dormitory lounge.

Thierry kicked his feet up on the table next to his empty plate and patted his full stomach as he reclined on the couch.

Staring at his thick, knitted socks, Caprice teased, "Got a penchant for maroon, do we."

Her brother shrugged, wiggling his toes.

"It's not quite red. Not quite brown. Not quite purple. I like it."

"I asked Nezzle to help me learn to read."

"Is that so? That's good... I haven't talked to anyone else about it, save the teachers. Not even Ripley. I've been getting by with the quill and paper from the teachers. Learning bit by bit."

"Nez said she'd help you, too. If you want." Sometimes boys could be pigheaded. She didn't want to embarrass him even by mentioning it. "Professor Mosshue says nothing is a substitute for a good teacher and working at it."

"I'd appreciate it."

"Really?

"Yea."

"If we stay here...they won't let us come back."

"Its too late, isn't it. Already done. Besides, who knows what'll happen if we go back there."

They'll kill us if we show our faces in the village again, Caprice thought, filled with an aching dread. Those who escaped were hunted and easily captured or never seen again. That was all anyone knew for sure.

"Mama. Thackery. Father. We'll never see them again. They may be punished, or even killed because of us. You heard what Karrigan said."

Brow suddenly cranked down, Thierry pushed himself up from the sofa.

"To hell with Karrigan!"

Caprice recoiled. It was rare that Thierry raised his voice, especially about or to a snake.

"And her brother. The Whitehares--all of them! This is our time now, Preece. Forget them!"

"You're yelling."

"I suppose I am." Though he quieted down, Thierry turned his mouth at her. "You yelled at Karrigan. First day lessons, when she tried to drag you back to the village. You're a bad influence."

They looked at each and laughed.

Caprice leaned on the arm of her chair, smoothing a fraying thread. Sighing, Thierry settled back into the sofa.

"Either way," he said, "Whitehares and their kind are still about. Trouble's going to find us at some point. Let's enjoy what we can."

Caprice couldn't say he was wrong so she didn't.

After everyone was asleep, Caprice let Fritter out and followed per around, hoping to stumble upon the honor's dorms. Corridor after corridor quiet and dusky with night, she wandered until she got nervous about getting lost. Defeated by Oracle's sheer size and endless maze-like corridors, she returned to bed and with some coaxing got Fritter to come along.