Extra Peppy

"Cappy. Thatch. Looking awfully cozy here in front of the pots. They must be missing you at home in the kitchens," Karrigan said. From her bag, she set out her book, a set of sparkling crystal phials, and a tooled leather case bearing the impression of a hare beneath a silven tree wrapped in laurel wreaths. When she opened the case, instead several rows of neatly bound and sealed ingredients that looked suspiciously like the ones Caprice and Thackery had picked, dried, and pickled weeks ago.

Thierry was gritting his teeth.

"I like Professor Gleddy but I wish he could do something about her," he said under his breath as Karrigan came in and set up at the cauldron and lectern nearest them.

"Ignore her," Caprice said, rummaging in her bag for her phials.

"Easier said than done. When did you become so sage?" Thierry replied, leaning closer so only Caprice could hear. "There should be laws against making us take lessons with her."

"I won't have to worry about it for long," Caprice muttered. "Next week can't come soon enough. Did they change any of your lessons?"

He shook his head. "They did offer me Sparring Arts in place of the second half of Basics. I think I'll take it. Everything else I've got to pass first then they'll offer me advanced classes next term. What about you?"

"I start advanced Potions and encha next week."

"What! You're leaving me in here with her?"

"I'm not doing it— Curses, I forgot my phials." Caprice touched the giving pin on her lectern. A set of phials appeared, just as shiny and new as Karrigan's.

"A charity pin," Karrigan scoffed, putting two and two together, "I wondered how you got clothes and things."

Caprice's face burned, but she thought, How I get anything is none of your concern anymore. At that point, she had to keep telling herself to ignore Karrigan. I wish I hadn't used the pin in front of her though... Then Caprice made the mistake of glancing directly at the other girl.

A loop of hair stuck out of the girl's coiffure. The more glances Caprice stole at it, the more she noticed that Karrigan wasn't as well put-together as a first glance suggested. The bun itself was slightly misshapen on one side. Little frizzy split ends stuck up from that inexplicable loop that was mysteriously protruding from the bun of hair.

Never under her care had one platinum blond hair on Karrigan's head ever been laid out of place. Caprice laughed to herself, nearly succumbing to a fit of hysterical giggles.

"What are you laughing at, girl!" Karrigan snapped, touching her hair.

A little startled, Caprice jumped and gasped, "Nothing, Miss Karrigan! I mean, nothing, Whitehare."

In front of the schoolroom, Professor Gleddy clapped his hands together. Caprice let out a last giggle, cleared her throat, and paid attention.

"All right, students! Today I have with me the other half of your teaching duo. Please welcome Professor Starstaff."

The teacher with her hair wrapped in bronze tinsel and cord, who had given Professor Earithean the potion for Bossa at the placement examination, placed her hand in Gleddy's and stepped to the front of the room. Some students clapped while the rest uttered a collective greeting. She had a kind smile and a cupid's bow mouth colored like a shimmering sunrise.

"It is a pleasure to meet you all. A little about myself—"

"You're glowing," someone blurted.

Caprice craned her neck a little for a better look. In addition to the glowing, Professor Starstaff's skin was also a brown-tinged light blue.