[001]

Charlie loved his daughters. Both held a special place in his heart, although it would take everything in him to say that out loud. They were his two favorite girls in the world, and he thought the world of them.

He thought slightly less of the older twin when he saw her snoring away, a constant stream of drool running from her open mouth to her pillow case.

"Jesus, Sky," Charlie muttered, shaking his head. Walking towards her, he hesitantly shook his daughter on the shoulder. "Hey... Skylar, hey. Time to wake up."

She mumbled something out, which Charlie assumed might have been English. Shaking her harder, he had to leap back to avoid her swinging arm. "Hell, Skylar! You go from sleeping like the dead to attack mode in seconds."

Opening one eye lazily, the right soon followed, and the drowsy teenager stared at her father. "I did watch the finale of The Walking Dead last night, Dad. You can't sneak up on me like that," she said, as if it were obvious.

"I didn't sneak up on you," Charlie exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air. "I've been trying to wake you up for – you know what? Never mind. I came to give you something."

At the mention of 'something' Skylar immediately perked up. "A gift?" Charlie's face distorted in confusion. "Yes, a gift? Skylar, it's your birthday."

Her eyes cast downwards for a few moments before her entire face lit up. "My birthday? Holy shit, I'm eighteen!"

"Language," the older man glared disapprovingly, but shook his head in defeat. "Yes, a gift. It coordinates with your mother."

"Gimme, gimme, gimme." She held her hands out in expectation, and stared outrageously at him when he shook his head, saying, "I think you're missing an important word, Sky."

Scoffing, Skylar shook her head. "You're going to make me beg for my own present, Dad?"

"Not beg, Christ. Just say please."

Nodding, Skylar took a deep breath. "P-P... Pl... Hold up, this is going to take a second." Ignoring Charlie's incredulous looks, she continued. "Ple... P-Ple-Plea... Pleaaaaa... Almost there. Whew, this is tough... Pleeaaa... Pleaaasss... Please?"

He almost threw the gift at her. "Just take it. I have to go wake up your sister." With that, he stalked out of the room.

"Thank you!" She shouted, just as he slammed the door shut. Smirking, she turned her attention back towards the box. It seemed to have been wrapped perfectly – something her mother would do. Every corner was taped nicely, the box was shut tight with ribbons, and the bow on top was square in the middle and not a piece upturned.

Skylar dug in, and a couple of seconds the festive wrapping was in pieces surrounding her.

In its place was a new camera, still tucked safely in the box. Taking the time to observe the details of the description, she chuckled. Leave it up to her parents to surprise her. Noticing a notepad stuck to the back, she carefully peeled it off and read it.