[015]

"Seriously, stop staring at me," Skylar grumbled, not even looking up. "I'm gonna punch you in the face."

Not being able to stay at her house, Skylar had sent a text to Charlie before running off to Emily's place. As it was, Emily was stepping out by the time the pair arrived but let them in, rolling her eyes at Skylar's light protesting. Light protesting, because honestly Skylar would cry if she had to go back home. It was scaring her that she was feeling more at home here in La Push than her childhood home in Forks. Regardless, Paul hadn't left her side the few hours they had been resting. In fact, his eyes wouldn't leave her face for more than a few minutes at most. Skylar would scold him, he would murmur out a small apology and would end up at square one all over again.

Sighing, Paul ran a hand over his face, leaning further back into the couch. "Like it's a crime to be worried about you. Hell, Skylar, I'm actually apprehensive about this whole fucking situation."

"I just need to distract myself right now," Skylar voiced carefully, not looking up from the worksheet in front of her. She had situated herself on the floor beside Paul's legs, the coffee table pulled up to rest her books on. "I'll deal with the whole thing later but I just want to be with you right now."

Paul took a second before answering. "You can't blame me for being concerned. I've never actually seen you do your homework before and it's a bit unnerving."

Grabbing an eraser, Skylar blindly threw it behind her, chuckling when she heard Paul's whine. He tried to muffle his laughter when he pushed her shoulder, the force of it making her topple over and land on her side. "Ow, asshole!" She shouted, twisting her body to glare at him.

"I'm... Shit, I'm sorry baby. Really – oh, oh! Don't get mad!" He tried to maintain the serious face but couldn't keep the smirk off as Skylar stood up.

Taking a glance down, Skylar snagged the textbook and launched it at him. Hitting him square in the chest, it thumped close as it trailed down to his lap. She bit her lip to contain her own giggles as he looked up, a wounded look on his face as she continued to laugh. Paul tossed the book to the side and reached to grab one of her folders, and despite her objections, hurled it back at her sending the loose leaf papers all over the room.

"Asshole!" She repeated, damn near throwing herself at him while trying to land a half way decent punch, swiftly avoiding his arms and aiming for his chest. Paul let her get a few in, faking an injury, before grinning and catching her arms, holding them together.

Paul hummed gleefully, raising an eyebrow. "What's the plan now, doll?"

"'M gonna punch that smug look right off your face."

Nodding as if interested, he kept her struggling arms in a tight grip. "With what exactly? Seeing how I have your arms, how would you attempt that?"

With her arms useless, Skylar tried to slide one leg off of his lap and attempted to force her other leg up to knee him. He saw this coming too and moved her so she wouldn't be able to reach him. Making sure not to throw her too hard, Paul held back his strength as he pitched her to the other side of the couch and quickly followed. Skylar held her now free arms out trying to both steady herself and keep Paul away.

She was trying not to laugh, she really was. With everything that had went down, she knew she would have to step up to the plate and deal with it eventually. But Paul... Paul had a way of making everything better. And so instead of overthinking she focused on trying to win the damn fight with him.

"This isn't fair!" Skylar grumbled as he caught her arms again.

Paul shrugged the best he could in his position, leaning over her while keeping his weight off. "You have to finish what you start, baby."