[004]

Bella had recovered from the slight hypothermia she had from sitting in the cold for so long. Whatever had shocked her that much, however, seemed planted in her mind.

When she had opened her eyes, she simply stared past the inquiring looks from her father and twin. She said nothing as the EMT checked her, assuring that it was just for her own safety. Was quiet the days that followed, even as Charlie and Skylar both tried their hardest to get a reaction from her.

October came and eventually passed. Volleyball was slowly coming to an end, so Skylar spent more and more time after school trying to better her playing. Cases began to trickle in more at the station, so Charlie often spent long hours trying to connect the dots. Content with the time with her boys, Skylar often spent her days off in La Push. Her camera soon became a necessity for her when she visited. They would alternate between lounging in Jacob's garage and taking walks through the woods or down by the beach.

November rolled around and seemed to go by just as quickly. Slowly, the leaves changed from the vibrant greens to the warmer colors and began to fall a few weeks later. With the final game at her high school, Skylar was thrilled that she had time off now. She enjoyed messing with Charlie, who tried his hardest to get the girl to try a little harder on her school work. They spent more time together, whether it was watching a game or trying their hardest to eat Skylar's cooking. At school, the students were becoming excited from Thanksgiving break, which meant Christmas break right around the corner. If it were possible, she grew even closer to the three boys who had wormed their way into her heart. The long days didn't seem so long when she was around them, but instead time flew by.

In particular, she and Embry began to spend more time together alone. Whether it was walking around without an actual destination or seeing the latest movie hitting the local theatre, she soon began to look at him a little bit different.

"I'm just saying," Embry said, holding his hands up. "That the movie today was a hell of a lot better than the week before. At least this one a more of a plot."

Scoffing, Skylar pushing him. "That's such bullshit! Today was just a bunch of dudes wearing camo shooting guns at brainless zombies. It was like redneck heaven in there. The other movie was actually interesting enough so that I didn't fall asleep."

"I still can't believe that you fell asleep earlier. How is that even possible? The noises were so loud, and constant."

Dusting off imaginary dust off her shoulder, Skylar smirked. "It is a talent, my friend."

Rolling his eyes, Embry glanced at her. "Some talent."

"Anyway," Skylar resumed. "It's past nine. Don't you have a bedtime or something?"

He glared at her. "Ha! No... I can stay out as late as I want."

Staring at him for a moment or two, Skylar tilted her head. "You asked your mom if you could come home late, huh?"

"Shut up!" He shouted, but still blushed.

"I knew it!" Skylar exclaimed.

He rolled his eyes again, but didn't respond. Instead, the pair walked out of the lobby, shivering as the cold air surrounded them. Well, Skylar did.

She looked up at him, dumbfounded. "Aren't you cold? I'm about to freeze my ass off and I have at least two layers of clothing on. You are literally wear a tee and some shorts!"

"I don't know," he shrugged. "I don't really get cold anymore."

Skylar reached up to touch his head. "Probably because you're running like a hundred degrees. What are you a furnace... And when did you get so damn tall? We used to be the same height before you decided to grow a head taller."