[014]

Skylar was awake but didn't want to show it. She didn't want to face the world, face the problems that had been thrown on her. Encased in the warmth of Paul's arms, she simply lay still, hiding.

But she couldn't avoid it forever. Like the situation with the wolves, Skylar would have to take it day by day and learn to adjust.

"How long has it been?" Her voice was dry and raspy, scratching her throat as each word sounded out.

Paul didn't jump or flinch in the slightest way. He must have known that she was awake and probably did from the moment she became conscious. "A few hours at most. I haven't really tracked the time but it's still kinda light outside."

"You slept too?" Skylar insinuated, her voice hopeful and feeling a bit relieved. Even if it were only a few hours she didn't love the fact that she was keeping him pinned to her.

She felt him nod as he adjusted both of them, moving her to lay slightly on top of him. "I've been looking out for you and dozed off for a bit. I don't like the thought of you being by yourself right now."

"We'll have to talk about it eventually." Her words became even raspier as her voice lowered. Apprehensive about explaining, she assumed Paul was as well by the way he tightened his grip around her.

"I know, doll," he replied, "I know, but right now I don't want you thinking about it at all. You're okay and that's all that matters."

His words sparked Skylar's brain, remembering one of the times she could focus earlier. "Harry..."

Dipping his head down to rest on hers, Paul sighed. "Harry died. Sue's still at the hospital."

"Seth?"

"Seth," Paul started, having to pause for a second. "He phased when he heard the news. Ran out of the house and shifted in the woods later."

Skylar gently pushed Paul off to sit up, eyes wide as she looked at him. "No. He's just a kid."

"I know," Paul agreed, placing his hand on top of hers and squeezing. "Leah shifted too. No one knows what to do, no one has ever heard of this happening before. It's a first in tribe history."

"Where is she?"

Paul squinted towards the window. "Last I heard, Sam was going after her to talk."

It was overwhelming. Skylar tried to push the redhead back, keep it tucked deep down for a while, but with Harry's early death and both of them phasing, it too much. "Can you take me home?"

He was immediately off the bed, kneeling down beside her a moment later with her jacket in his hands. "Of course, baby." Helping her shrug it on, he grabbed both pairs of shoes as well. The entire way out the door and towards his truck, his arms was securely wrapped around her shoulders. It made her smile, the fact that he wouldn't let her go, always having to be touching her in some way. She had never felt the need to be constantly with someone, and honestly didn't want to be that way. The thought of depending on someone for happiness was a foreign concept and seeing what Bella had been like fueled the thoughts but Skylar felt warm at Paul's touch.

"I don't know how to thank you for being here with me through everything," Skylar stated, placing her own hand on his. "I know you don't mind but it still means a lot. And... Paul I don't want to sound like a bitch but we're still not, like... you know." Just spit the words out Skylar, dammit.

Paul almost pulled the truck over right then, looking at her in horror. "I would never try and force you to be with me. I haven't, have I?"

"No!" It was Skylar's turn to be defensive. "God no, Paul, I just hate to do this to you."