[008]

The next morning, Skylar looked between her group of friends, amused by the teasing. Angela looked around the table, desperate for someone to believe her. "I'm telling you, I know what I saw. It was a wolf in the woods."

"Totally," Eric agreed, trying not to laugh as he held her hand. "Baby, I believe you."

Jessica shook her head frantically, giving him a hard look. "No, he doesn't. He's just trying to get lucky." Glaring when Eric laughed.

"No, okay," Angela said, unrelenting on the subject. "It was jet black and huge. On all fours, it was still taller than a person. A bear then, maybe?"

Mike pointed at her. "Or an alien. You're lucky you didn't get probed."

"Aliens only want to take weirdos like you, Mike. Honestly," Skylar chuckled, ducking as he through the empty water bottle at her. "Hey! Not nice!"

He threw his hands up at her. "Neither are you!"

"Well, I saw it," Angela stated.

Jessica stared up above their heads, an eyebrow shooting up, making them all turn around. Skylar was a tad shocked to see Bella standing there. She was getting better, yeah, but still kept to herself at school.

"You know, you're not the only one," Bella spoke up, pulling a chair to sit beside Mike. "Our dad's been getting reports at the station. Like, five hikers have been killed by some bear. But they can't find the bear."

The rest of the group seemed at a loss for words, leaving Skylar to chime in. "Maybe it was Smokey the Bear. Dude was always a little bit suspicious for my taste. He got tired of people setting fires and decided to get his way across in another way."

"That is a great theory," Angela said, pointing at her. "So what we're you all saying?"

Eric clapped his hands on his thighs, laughing awkwardly. "Last time you clowns doubt my girlfriend."

"Um," Mike stuttered, pulling Bella to the side. Jessica glared at them before sticking her nose up, pretending to be interested in the conversation between the other four.

"Did you get detention with Hawkner?" Eric turned to Skylar.

She stuck her tongue out. "Nope. I turned my essay in and got an A on the pop quiz. I think I might be his favorite student."

"The only reason he's gonna pass you is so he won't have to deal with you another year," Angela pointed out. "Besides, I also think he's done giving you detentions 'cause then he'll have to deal with you after school, too."

Skylar smirked. "I'm such a joy to be around. The teachers are going to miss me so much, I'm not sure how they'll make it."

Eric snorted and opened his mouth to argue when he was interrupted by Bella clearing her throat, shifting their attention towards her. "Do any of you all want to see Face Punch?"

"Face Punch, yeah!" Eric joined in. "Mike, hey, we were supposed to watch that. Remember, the trailer's like... 'Punch faces.'"

Mike nodded slowly. "Yeah, um, yeah I remember."

Jessica tilted her head back, forcing a laugh. "Yeah! Movie night with Bella."

Skylar ended up staying home. Charlie had a rare night at the house, so they decided to stay in. Charlie suggesting that they get takeout the second Skylar said she could cook.

The movie Charlie had picked out was starting as her phone dinged, alerting her of a text message. She turned the screen on, reading as Angela sent that she had the flu so Eric was taking care of her. She couldn't help but laugh as the image of just Bella, Jacob, and Mike sitting together in the movies.