Our Secret

Your P.O.V
It is currently midnight and I, unfortunately, was still wide awake lying in bed. Kirsten was next to me fast asleep. I was spending the weekend with her before I went off to visit my family for a few weeks. I decided to try to sneak to the kitchen so I won't wake anyone up. I climbed out of bed and tried to stealthily make my way to the kitchen for a glass of water. It didn't help that the stairs decided to creak. When I approached the kitchen the light was already on and there was someone rummaging through the refrigerator.

I was about to head back just as they noticed my presence.

"Don't leave on my account."

I headed back towards the fridge just past Chris to grab a bottle of water.

As I closed the door and turned back around, Chris was right beside me.

"Why are you up so late?"

"I don't know, I just couldn't fall asleep," I replied tilting my head upwards to look at him in his eyes.

"Why? Were you thinking of me?"

"You're not that special."

"You had me fooled last night," he leaned in to whisper in my ear and then placed a soft kiss on my cheek.

"Chris, stop. What if someone sees?"

"Oh come on, no one's awake. And I'll miss you when you're gone."

"It's just a few weeks." 

"I don't see why we can't just tell Kirsten and have our relationship out in the open."

"I don't want her to be upset with me. I don't want things to change."

"She's not gonna be mad at you just because you're dating her brother."

"I just don't want her to feel like a third wheel."

" So you'd rather me act like I don't know you exist."

"Basically, yeah. It won't be that hard. I'll tell her soon, I promise."

"That's not good enough Y/N. I want to be with you now. I want to take you out on dates, hold you and be able to tell everyone that you're mine."

"I want that too but I don't want to lose my best friend in the process."

"Well, you may have just lost me. I can't stand this any longer. Either you tell her or we're over."

"Chris come back." He was already halfway out of the kitchen, I tried following him but his legs were too long and I couldn't catch up to him. I trudged back to bed and lay awake thinking about what he said. I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and sent Chris a message.

Me, 12:15 a.m: Please don't be mad at me

Chris, 12:17 a.m: I'm sleeping

Me, 12:18 a.m: You're texting me...

Chris, 12:23 a.m: Not anymore

Me, 12:23 a.m: I'll tell her soon, I promise.

Chris, 12:25 a.m: We're in the same house and have to text each other. Soon does not work.

Me, 12:26 a.m: I'm sorry

Me, 12: 42 a.m: Chris??

I closed my eyes and tried falling asleep but it was to no avail. Hours passed before I finally felt myself drifting away. It felt like mere minutes of being asleep before the piercing sunlight woke me. I sat up in bed to see Kirsten in front of her vanity straightening her hair.

"Good morning sleepy head."

"What time is it?"

"It's almost nine."

"Hey, I have a question."

"How would you feel If, hmm, I were to date one of your brothers?"

"What?" She turned to stare at me with a look of shock on her face. 

"What's going on with you and Crawford?"

"Nothing, I swear. It's just hypothetical."

"Is it Chris then?"

"Nothing's going on."

"Good. I would hate for that to happen." 

"Why though?"

She went back to straightening her hair before answering.

"Because I know my brothers. They are inept at being good boyfriends that's why they're single. Sooner or later it'll end badly and I'm left to choose between my friends or my family. Even though I  might be annoyed at them sometimes, I can never cut my family out of my life. And I would hate to lose a friend like you."

"You know I wouldn't mind if you dated my brother, we could become family."

"Please, I've seen your brother get into fights online while playing video games in his underwear with food spilt all over him. I'm not interested."

"I feel like maybe I should feel offended for him but I'm not."

"I'll meet you downstairs for breakfast," she declared while packing away her flat iron. I headed into the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a quick shower. Shortly after, I joined everyone at the table for breakfast. I dug into my plate of waffles, not paying much attention, while everyone was carrying on casual conversation until Crawford mentioned something that piqued my interest. 

"Hey, Chris, you interested in a double date? I met this girl and she has this friend and I thought she'd be perfect for you."

"Um, I'm not really feeling like going on a date."

"Bro trust me, you'll change your mind when you see what she looks like." He began searching through his pocket until he pulled his phone out and showed Chris a picture.

"She's hot right," Crawford exclaimed while swiping through photos.

"Yeah, she's cute," Chris replied. 

I immediately got up from the table and headed to the refrigerator to pour myself a glass of juice before I said something I would regret. 

"So date or no date?"

"Um, I'll let you know."

Chris made his way to the fridge and discreetly murmured to me while grabbing some milk.

"You're angry when you shouldn't be, everyone thinks I'm single."

"I'm not angry."

"Did you tell her ?"

"Not yet."

"You know what Crawf? I'm single so what the hell right? I'll go on that date." Then he made his way back towards the dining table.