The beginning of the end

I spent at least two hours trying to pick out what to wear but I finally gave up the struggle and just wore my slightly oversized  sweater and ripped dark blue jeans, paired with my sneakers. Instead of spending an hour on my hair and makeup, I decided to pull it up into a lazy bun and applied minimal makeup. I mean it's not likes it's date or anything...right?

"Hey Mom! I'm leaving now." She came rushing down the stairs before I could close the door behind me. "Oh and thanks for what you did. You know the whole thing you did with Noah for the scholarship. I really appreciate it Mom." I grinned as her face shon with adoration. It's probably the first time in a long time that she sees me truly happy, since the divorce and Noah leaving. 

She choked me in a bear hug. "I would do anything for you and don't you forget it Alli." She broke the embrace and held my shoulder "be safe now. Oh and Noah-" Her eyes locked to front yard. A matte black Mercedes Benz wagon pulled up, must be Jackson. "Um, bye mom."

He waved goodbye to my mom, who now had her jaw literally on the floor after seeing Jackson. I had second hand embarrassment just looking at her reaction. "Aye, look we're twinning." He tried mimicking my voice, he wore black distressed jeans, a hoodie and sneakers. 

"Oh jeez we look like one of those annoying couples." I said in disgust while turning on the radio. "So where are we going?"

"We are going to New York's best Chinese restaurant. Aka Mias second home." That was odd. "She basically lives there her parents own a bunch of those restaurants so they were constantly busy with the work, so the only "parents" that she had were Jon and the rest of the cooking staff. She loves them like family. Well she considers them to be family. Her parents went through a crappy divorce and just ended up being business partners." He shook is head. I felt like his was telling me way too much info about a girl I hadn't met yet. 

"Guess we have something in common already." I mumbled to myself.

The entire car ride was filled with comfortable silence and a few comments about how radio stations constantly play generic pop music. I found out that Jackson loved the same muscians as I did. We debated over which of Lordes albums were more superior than the others while he played his favourite Tame Impala songs in the car.

"We're here." The restaurant was quite traditional not anything I had imagined. It was a fire. Reds and oranges lit the building, the tangy and spicy aromas lingering through the air had my stomach roaring for whatever the chefs had been preparing, even though I might have eaten fifteen churros before leaving the house. As Noah would say 'I'm a cow' I have at least five guts. Now blocking my tunnel vision of the salmon sushi ahead of me was mane of bright red hair.

"Oh so this is the girl you've been talking about?" Jackson cheeks had now turned blush with embarrassment but was quickly taken over with a look of annoyance. 

"Hey, I'm Amelia but you can call me Mia. Let's cut the story short, I know your name. Allister, cute name by the way but not for long." She stage whispered, "we're getting fake IDs" she stood there wagging her eyebrows and gesturing between me and Jackson. This wasn't my first rodeo though. Noah and I had done this a million times during tenth grade. I'm pretty much immune to hangovers at this point.

"Ok then, let's go." I spun on my heels on my way to the exit but Jackson looked skeptical about my nonchalant response and Mia stood there looking like a proud dad."

She was strutting her way towards the exit.
"I like her already" she pointed towards the air smiling like a Cheshire Cat.