2

« Vic »

“So, Vic, how’d you get your black eye this time?”

No response came from my lips. The therapist (I think his name was Mr. Lee) sighed and wrote some things down on his clipboard. I fiddled with my fingers and leaned a bit closer into Tay’s side. She took one of my hands before I could reach up and pull my hair. It reminded me of the time when Kellin stopped me from tugging my hair…

Ari wasn’t coming to the sessions anymore. She was a legal adult, which the police had failed to realize, so she didn’t have to go unless she wanted to. Tay and Ari had gotten really close since… that day that they took the three of us home, so Tay seemed a little disappointed when Ari decided not to show.

“You two seem really close–” Mr. Lee started, but I already knew where he was heading with that. He thought we were dating. Not to be harsh or anything, but never in a million years would I date Tay. We were best friends, siblings if you will, and we never looked at each other like that. Besides, I was gay.

“Don’t you dare go there,” I snarled, letting go of Tay’s hand. I started to get up – Mr. Lee looked a bit scared, and leaned over as if ready to press the shiny red button on his desk for help – but Tay caught the bottom of my hoodie, restraining me from doing anything. I looked down at her, ignoring the giant squid I saw on her other hand.

“I’m done,” I mumbled, stepping around Tay’s legs to head for the door. She didn’t even try to stop me; instead, she stood up and came with. Mr. Lee opened his mouth to protest. I put my hand on the doorknob, turned around, and jerked my body forward in a threatening way. He flinched. I rolled my eyes, swung the door open, and left the room with Tay behind me.

“Why don’t you go to the bathroom and relax for a minute or two?” Tay suggested, catching my shoulder with her little hand. I turned to look at her, my expression immediately turning soft and calm. “Splash some cold water on your face and calm yourself down, okay? I’ll be outside waiting for Ari to pick us up.”

I nodded meekly and disappeared into the bathroom. I heard Tay’s footsteps slowly moving away from the door before the lobby door binged when she opened it. Sighing, I shook my head and glanced around the room nervously, hopefully, but alas, I was let down.

Kellin hadn’t made an appearance all day, which was strange – he usually came to the therapy sessions to make fun of Mr. Lee. I haven’t seen him since this morning before he left, saying he’d be back later, but he wasn’t here.

What if all of the meds the doctors have been giving me were making my illness better? I didn’t want to stop seeing Kellin! I had to stop taking my pills – I had to, if I wanted to be with Kellin forever.

I’ll be crazy if it means being with Kellin.

“Vic, take your pills.”

“No.”

“Victor, take your–”