4

« Kellin »

Zack froze and stared straight ahead. When I looked in the direction he was looking, there wasn’t anything there but some stars. I looked back at him and narrowed my eyes in confusion. He snapped out of his daze, turned on his heel, and kicked a tin trash can with all of his force off of the roof of the building we were on. It flew out of sight, probably still in the air.

“Those fucking bastards!” He yelled in frustration. I ran over to him and put my hands on his shoulder. He was breathing hard. I slapped him lightly across the face in an attempt to get him to calm himself. Zack huffed and shook out of my grasp.

“What is it?” I questioned. “What the fuck were you looking at? There was nobody there. Nothing but the sky and some stars, but besides that, it was nothing.” Zack ran a hand through his hair and fixed his black leather jacket promptly.

“They were giving Vic trouble,” He grumbled. My own anger rose inside me. My eyes turned a brighter shade of red. They always did when I was angry. “Some guys at MissionBay keep bullying him. He gets black eyes, broke ribs, busted lips, bloody noses, bruised cheeks… What the fuck!

“We’re going. Now. Let’s go. I have to see him. I don’t care if there’re uniforms at his house. Right now,” I insisted, keeping my voice quiet and full of hatred. Zack’s eyes flickered over to me.

“No, Kellin,” He scolded. I glared at him. “We can’t. We can’t just go over there. It may seem as simple as that, but he’s probably sleeping, and you know how unstable he is–” My glare intensified. “You know that’s not what I think; it’s just how they think. Anyway, he’d freak out. Besides, aren’t we taking Ari and Tay, too? Nobody is ready right now.”

“We’re probably taking Mike, too,” I admitted in a low voice. Zack’s eyes widened. I don’t think he thought that I’d be keeping secrets from him, especially as big as that one. “Vic asked me if he could come along. I can’t have him miss his brother for all of eternity. What’s the worst that can happen?”

“Everything, Kellin!” Zack exclaimed. “You don’t know how any of them are going to react to being changed. Ari and Tay could run away and not stay in a coven with us. As for Mike? He’d probably go on a fucking killing spree just for the hell of it, not because he needs to feed! Vic will probably be the tamest of all of them, and you know it. Bringing the others might be dangerous.”

“At least everyone would have a partner,” I muttered. He looked at me in question. “You know Tay likes Ari. Vic has me. Mike and you could…” I trailed off. Zack rolled his eyes and scoffed, waving me off in dismissal. I always knew he had a thing for the younger Fuentes brother. “You know you’d like that.”

“Maybe, maybe not,” He said. “Anyway, I guess I know what you’re talking about. It’s an even amount of people, and everyone has someone else to be with. Nobody will miss anyone. Now that I think about it, it seems like an okay plan. I guess. I’m keeping my eyes on them, though. They fuck up once, and I will not hesitate to kill.”

“Shut your blood sucking mouth,” I snapped, half-playing, half-serious. Zack grinned and bared his fangs. He turned on his heel and ran, becoming a blur, to the edge of the roof of the building. He hopped up onto the ledge and looked down below. Zack turned around to look at me.