chapter 6

When I woke up Thursday morning, I thought that everything was normal. I got ready, ate breakfast, and hopped into Rowan's car so he could take me to school.

But as I was sitting in the passenger seat I noticed that Trent's red Jeep wasn't parked in front of Brad's house. Instead, a black BMW was sat next to the curb. I stared for so long trying to figure out who drove that car because it looked so familiar. I knew for a fact that I had seen the butterfly car sticker in the school parking lot before.

Rowan started driving away from the house before I could realize who it was.

By the time we reached school, the car was still not there so the mystery wouldn't be solved until the end of the day. With a smidge of frustration, I got out of my brother's car and headed onto the campus. Just like usual, I went straight to my locker to exchange my books for the day, but another thing was different. A boy was stood in front of my locker trying to open it.

"Um, hey." I said hoping I sounded just the right amount of annoyed. I didn't want to come across as a total bitch. The boy turned to look at me and I felt my chest tighten. His eyes were crystal blue. They were not a dark blue like sapphires or the ocean, rather a clear blue that looked like the edge of a lake. They were so pretty I forgot how to breathe.

"Hi?" As he spoke, he seemed really confused and I realized he had to be new. I would remember those eyes and he would know that this is my locker.

"Sorry, but uh, this is my locker." I pointed at the lock in his hand. "Whatever combination your twisting isn't going to work."

The boy blinked, then glanced down at the paper in his hand. His eyes shot back up to mine. "Oh my god, I'm an idiot."

I couldn't help but to give him a soft smile. "It's okay, do you know where you're supposed to be?"

He twisted his body away from mine as he pointed to the locker right next to mine. "I'm 146, and you are 148."

My lips parted into an 'oh' shape as the boy shifted to be in front of locker 146. I stepped in next to him to get my books that I needed. Pulling out my Spanish workbook, he started speaking again. "Thanks by the way."

"No worries." I thought that this would be end of the conversation. Shutting my locker door, I turned to leave for my class, but he stopped me.

"My name's Connor by the way." He smiled while he talked. He said it with a small accent that I couldn't quite pin point. He wasn't as British as Brad was if he was British.

"Nice to meet you Connor, I'm Nirvana."

"Like the band?"

I nodded while I moved my hand to the strap of my bag.

"Sick. That's a good band to be named after."

I shrugged. I don't know why I was so bad at small talk with new people. Bradley was the first person where small talk was easy. Our conversations just flowed so well.

"I hate to keep bothering you, but um, could you - could you show me where my first class is?" He paused before looking away from me. "It's Statistics and if it's out of the way for you, don't worry about it, I just thought you know, it might be easier- "

I knew that kind of ramble. It was when you were nervous and I wondered for a split second if he had anxiety to. I cut him off before he could keep going. "Yeah it's no problem. Let me see your schedule and we can walk you through it before the bell rings." I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I had six minutes to show him.

The new kid followed behind me as I pointed to where all of his classes would be. We parted ways once the bell rung.

My first two classes went like they normally did. I was mentally exhausted from doing my pre-calc work so when it was finally my third period, Music, I was ready to do something mindless. Drumming came naturally and it was such a good mental breather for me.