Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Gavin’s POV

Just my luck. I stared at the banner displayed right at the entrance of Aqua Planet.

‘3RD ANNUAL GEO OCEAN CONFERENCE BY GEOCEAN SOCIETY’

Ivan began tugging my hand as we walked to buy the entrance tickets. There were quite a number of people in line as it was Saturday. I really hoped I wouldn’t stumble upon my brother here.

It wasn’t like I hated him or something but I never quite got along with him. I was close with my sister, Gisela but not him. I guess being 7 years apart made the difference, I wasn’t sure myself. But I guess I just didn’t want my family to know Ivan yet. I wanted to be the one who knew him first. As if that made any sense.

“Gavin,” I heard Ivan’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts. “Do you want to get some food and drinks before going in?” he asked, gesturing to the food stalls nearby. “Sure! I want chicken popcorn!” I exclaimed. He glared at me and noticed few people especially parents staring at us, I just laughed. People would assumed I was a retarded adult or something.

I bought myself a bottle of cold mountain dew and large cup of chicken popcorn while Ivan bought a bottle of sparkling water and a bag of fries and fried mini meatballs. And knowing Ivan, he wouldn’t let me pay for him. Maybe one day.

As soon as we stepped inside, the cold blast of air conditioner greeted us as a huge reinforced glass aquarium revealed in front of us. There were nurse sharks and other types of sea creatures inside it.

“Wow…” I turned to look at Ivan who absolutely awed by it. “Why didn’t I come here earlier,” he said.

But I was awed by his looks. It was hard for me to take him for granted. He was beautiful, inside and out a little bit harsh but that was what Ivan was.

“Stop looking at me,” he blushed as he turned to me. “People are watching,” he added.

I grinned and tucked a few strands of hair behind his ear, ignoring people who were obviously looking at us. He continued to blush furiously and glanced away but not moving. “What sea animal is your favourite?” I asked finally after seeing he was uncomfortable with the silence.

He looked at the directory near us. “Jellyfish,” he replied. “Let’s go!” I cheered.

“Gavin?” a voice I dreaded to hear appeared behind me.

Gabriel was standing in his suit in front of me with his PA behind him as I turned around. “Hi, Gab,” I said, smiling. “This is the first time I’ve seen you here. What’s up?” he asked, smiling back. I noticed he was trying his best to be friendly with me and I appreciated it. We just didn’t see that much of each other when we were little.

“Oh, I’m on a date,” I admitted and put my hand around Ivan’s waist to pull him closer. I never told Gabriel that I was dating a guy right now. I only told Gisela considering how close we were. However, deep down I was afraid of how he would take the news.

“Oh? I never thought you’d bat for the other team,” Gabriel grinned at me. He turned to Ivan and reached out his hand. “I’m Gabriel, Gavin’s brother,” he introduced himself.

“Ivan Wyse, I work at Croxton as a researcher,” Ivan returned and shook his hand. “Oh, Gavin did mention about you. This is my first time here but so far it’s looking great,” he added. I silently let out an invisible relief sigh.

Gabriel beamed and smiled. “Thank you. It’s fairly a new structure and educating people has always been a passion,” he said. He turned to me finally. “Gisela mentioned about your proposal to join the Natgeo team. How’s your proposal getting alone?”