Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Devon’s POV

Well, this was new, I thought.

A month had passed since Gavin left for his training. I was cooking spaghetti for dinner and I heard the sound of Ivan bustling about the house noisily. I rolled my eyes and knew he was still feeling awkward with Gavin’s absence. I did too. I didn’t have anyone to complain about the dirty laundry, the messy magazines on the coffee table and the unwashed dishes. Basically, as if we had lost a dog, or a puppy.

I had called my father every other day to give him updates on my therapy sessions. It seemed that I was getting better and being around Gavin helped to be honest. Clyde and Blake also came by often. I had a feeling that Blake was checking on his brother even though Ivan appeared fine. We often video Skype with Gavin every other day and it looked like Gavin had it worst. Most of the time he would burst into tears and claimed how beautiful Ivan looked each time. Of course, my cousin would blushed and scolded him for being too direct even though I was right next to them.

To be honest, I was still feeling unsure about being gay. Don’t get me wrong, I knew I was gay. But I wasn’t sure my future in it. Sure, Blake and Ivan found their love which happened to be men but me? After years of bullying and no friends, I thought that maybe I wasn’t attracted enough. I never had a crush on anyone either. Was I capable of falling in love, even? I shook my head at the thought and continued to cook. It was alright, I told myself.

“Dev, Blake’s coming in a while. Do you think you made enough dinner for him?” Ivan came into the kitchen and opened the cabinet to fetch the plates. “I guess so. I’ll make some tuna salad just in case,” I said, turning off the stove and grabbed a nearby huge bowl to place the spaghetti. “That’s good. I’m feeling wine tonight. Have you drank any?” he asked, taking out three wine glasses from the same cabinet. I raised my eyebrows at him and he got it. “Well, everyone always has their first time,” he smirked and set the dishes on the table.

I shrugged. “I’ve tasted beer before but it’s not to my liking. How’s wine any different?” I asked, bring the bowl to the kitchen and went back to make the tuna salad. Ivan seemed to be thinking for a while. “I’m not into beer too. Blake doesn’t as well. He’s into coffee. Well, I guess wine is more fruity and has that sweet taste to it?” he replied. “Or do you prefer sparkling?” he suggested. I grunted and he chuckled. “Blake doesn’t like alcohol actually. So we always have sparkling ready,” he said. I thought for a while.

“Maybe I’ll try sparkling first. Not sure if I can handle wine,” I admitted and he nodded his head. He moved to the fridge to get the wine and sparkling before we heard the doorbell rang. “That must be Blake,” Ivan said and moved to the front door instead. I continued to pour the tuna chunks into the salad bowl with salad leaves in it with cherry tomatoes. I heard Blake’s voice along the hallway and frowned. Was Clyde not with him?

“Sorry, Clyde couldn’t make it. He had to stay over at the office to complete some documentation for their project. Last minute is last minute. Don’t do that,” he said and looked at me as if warning me. I smiled and nodded. “What’s for dinner?” he asked as he threw his jacket over the chair and sat down. “Oh? You still have that sparkling? I thought I finished them all,” he said and grabbed the bottle and poured it into his glass. “I suggested Dev to drink wine but he thinks he should try sparkling first,” Ivan chirped in and put down the cutlery.

Blake grinned. “So, how is it?” he asked suddenly at Ivan. I turned to him, frowning. Oh, Gavin.

“Life after Gavin?” he winked and Ivan smacked his arm gently. “To be honest, it feels different. I mean, for years now I’m used to him tailing my back and sometimes stalking me but I’m coping. Devon’s here to keep me occupied,” he answered, taking his seat next to his brother. I snorted as I put down the finished salad. “What would you do without me,” I teased and they both just laughed.

We started to eat and talked about random things before I blurted out. “I miss him.”

Ivan looked surprised at that and Blake was staring at him. I was too. He sighed and rubbed his face softly with his hand. “Yea, I miss him a lot. Those video skype and calls just don’t do justice,” he admitted and I smiled. I knew he wanted to get it out of his chest but I realized he was unused with romance thingy so I gave him a push.

Yes. I was never been in a romantic relationship. But hey, I read books.

We were shocked suddenly by the sound of Ivan’s phone ringing. He frowned and went to his bedroom to fetch it. Blake and I continued with our dinner, joking and talking about stuff before Ivan came rushing into the kitchen with the phone in his hand. He looked like would faint anytime and he kept stuttering but his words weren’t clear. Worst was that he looked like he was about to cry.

Blake strung up and went to his side. He clamped both his hands on his arms. “Calm down, Ivan. Take a deep breath,” he started. Ivan stared into his brother’s eyes and followed. He shut his eyes for a while and took few deep breathes and exhaled. “What’s wrong?” Blake asked.

Ivan couldn’t help it and started to talk. “They said they’re bringing him in tomorrow morning for intensive care since our hospital has the facility that could cater for his injury. They said his rope got loose and he and his trainer fell along the rocks near the mountains,” he said and I could see panic beginning to set into his eyes again. I jumped off from the seat and made my way to him. I patted his back to soothe him.

“Who’s he?” I asked, still feeling confused. But deep down I knew who he was talking about. Who else would have this much effect on him.

“Gavin,” he said with a shaky voice and Blake immediately hugged him. “Is he okay? Who called just now?”

I took him to the sofa so he could sit and calm down. Blake followed us after fetching a glass of water. “Sarah called just now. Gavin and the team were doing some mountain climbing training and his rope somehow got loose and he and his trainer were swinging in the air and hit the rocks alongside the mountain. Then they both stopped moving. Initial checks said he had hit his head and might have a concussion even though he was wearing a helmet. They’re currently flying him over here since it’s closer and we have a brain specialist in our hospital. We can only see him after they finished surgery on his head,” he repeated and explained the phone call. His hands were shaking while holding the glass and I took it away from him immediately, afraid it would fall.

I frowned and noticed Blake was looking at me. “What are you going to do?” he asked Ivan. My older cousin blinked his eyes repeatedly. “I’ll go see him tomorrow,” he said and ran his fingers through his hair, calming himself. “We’ll go with you,” I found myself saying. He turned to me and smiled. “You got class in the morning. You can come by after class,” he suggested. I nodded my head reluctantly. He sighed loudly and pursed his lips.

I wasn’t sure what he was thinking but he was deep in thought. Blake passed him back the water and asked if he wanted to continue eating with us. He shook his head. He mentioned about a headache and wanting to go to sleep early. It didn’t escape our eyes that his eyes were glistening as soon as he got up and went to his room, shutting the door quietly.

Blake took me back to the kitchen and we ate in silence, not knowing what to think or say. Just hoping everything would be okay.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Ahem. It has to be done. D-don't throw bricks at me ;__;