Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Ivan’s POV

I couldn’t sleep a wink last night. I stared as the sun light began to escape through the curtains and I sighed softly. My stomach grumbled in hunger and I knew I shouldn’t waste my time feeling sad. I should be upset, considering the situation but I knew it was worrying both Blake and Devon. I got up and went to the bathroom to have a quick shower.

As soon as I left my room, I was attacked by a delicious aroma from the kitchen. I peered in and saw Devon and Blake randomly talking in the kitchen while Devon was flipping pancakes. Blake turned to open the fridge and noticed me. “Oh, hey! Good morning. We’re having blueberry pancakes today,” he said and took out the blueberries. I frowned. “Did you stay the night?” I asked, realizing he was still wearing the same clothes as last night.

He shrugged. “Clyde couldn’t come home last night, still finishing up his work so I figured I’d stay over. Let us take care of you this time, bro,” he said and winked at me. I chuckled at that and sat at the table. “Black coffee for me,” I ordered and he rolled his eyes as he grabbed a coffee pot to make the coffee. I smiled and noticed Devon was smiling. “What’re smiling for, Dev?” I teased. He just shook his head. “I’m glad you’re okay,” he replied and I blushed.

“Yea, well. Can’t spend the whole day wallowing in sorrow,” I admitted. Soon after, the pancakes and coffee and juices were on the table. We ate while talking about random stuff until it was time for Devon’s class. Blake offered to send him to campus while I went to the hospital. Sarah messaged me early this morning that Gavin’s surgery would ended around 10am today so I decided to call the faculty to ask for a few days off. I never took a rest or sick day off since I first transferred here and it shocked the whole team. I didn’t tell them about Gavin as we were unsure of his condition.

I waved Blake and Devon goodbye as they left the apartment. There was nothing to do so I ended up going to the hospital. My heart was beating wildly on the way there and hopefully Gavin’s parents were already there. I parked my car and went into the ICU level where I immediately met Gavin’s father, Samuel right in front of the elevator.

“Oh, thank God you’re here. Sarah’s been restless since last night. I’m going to get some coffee. Want one?” he sighed in relief when he saw me. “Yes, please,” I nodded and stepped out of the elevator so he could go in. I didn’t fail to notice his eyes and nose were red. “His room is 413,” he said before the elevator doors closed.

I took off slowly, smelling the medicine and antiseptic scents. It felt weird but I pushed on. Nurses and doctors went passed me in slow motion, or at least that was what I felt. I trudged slowly until I stopped in front of door 413. I didn’t know what to expect. I just knew I needed to go in. I knocked on the door gently, enough for whoever inside knew I was coming in.

Opening the door slowly, I was welcomed with a beeping noise, monitors, pillars of IV and blood hook-ups and a grieving mother. “Sarah,” I greeted her and his head perked up, carving a weak smiled as she went to me. She wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed my cheek.

“He’s stable. But he’s not waking up yet,” he whispered as she pulled away and let me go. I didn’t even realize I was not looking at the bed occupant when I first got in. Sarah squeezed my hand, gesturing the bed while she went outside instead.

I took a deep breath and looked up when I heard the sound of the door closed.

I could honestly hear my heart shattered into pieces, like the sound of moving trains rammed into each other. My knees felt weak. My eyes immediately gleamed with unshed tears and a strangled sigh escaped from my lips.