Bonding

Jack wasn't the only one astounded by this new arrangement. Mark was fascinated by how strange it felt to let someone literally carry your life in their hands. It was a breathtaking experience for them both.

Mark was doing pretty good at hiding his feelings, but Jack was obviously in absolute awe, and he was smiling as he carefully carried his little buddy into the kitchen.

"Was that ok?" Jack asked as he put his hands on the table. Mark got up and carefully climbed off before he turned around and answered the eager  giant.

"I don't want to complain, but, every time you took a step you kind of swayed too much," he admitted. He was being honest; every step that Jack took made Mark think of a boat rocking in the ocean, which only made him even more nervous about being in Jack's hands.

"Oh, sorry." Jack crouched down to Mark's eye level. "Guess we still have a lot to learn, huh?" He smiled. "We'll get there, though. Don't worry." Mark nodded as Jack got back up and went to the oven. "How's yer leg?" He asked as he used oven mitts to pull a pizza out. Mark's mouth watered, and he found himself staring at the pizza.

"It's all right I guess," he mumbled, distracted. All he could think about was that delicious pizza and its amazing smell wafting to him. Jack noticed and smiled.

"I'm guessing you have pizza back on your planet?" He guessed correctly. Mark nodded. He was almost drooling as he ogled the pizza hungrily. Jack chuckled and got himself a plate before he started cutting the pizza up.

"Don't worry little dude, Jackaboy's got ya." He carried his plate to the table and set it down, and he grinned at Mark eager expression. "I'd never stop anyone from eating pizza!" He laughed. Mark giggled and walked up to the rim of the plate.

"Best thing I've ever seen, a giant fucking pizza!" The engineer exclaimed. Jack laughed as he got a knife and cut the tip off for Mark.

"Well here ya go." He pushed the small piece to the plate edge. "Dig in!" Mark didn't need to be told twice. He reached and grabbed the greasy food, and Mark bit hungrily into it.

"Oh my god," he moaned. "Oh my fucking god! This is so good, I almost forgot what pizza tastes like!"

"Man, how long has it been since you've had pizza?" Jack was surprised when Mark had scrambled for the tiny share of pizza, and while he understood that pizza was an amazing food... "It sounds like you've gone without pizza for quite a while," Jack remarked as he bit into his own share. He melted at the flavor and sighed pleasantly. Pizza was amazing. Too bad I didn't get the Pricklyapa pizza though. Those pineapples are the best!

"Yeah." Mark nodded and tore hungrily at his piece. "Mostly we've had to eat dry-fast microwave food, and if we were lucky we could find an orange or something else to eat."

"You mean for the whole space travel thing?" Mark hesitated.

"Uh, y-yeah." There was no reason for Mark to tell the giant how bad things were back on Earth. He didn't like lying, but he still had to protect his people. "Up in space, there's not really a kitchen," Mark pointed out.

"Which is horrible!" Jack gasped. "What if you want to heat up some cheese dip!?" Mark burst out laughing and nodded.

"Exactly!" He spent a minute giggling until his laughter calmed down enough for Jack to ask, "Do you have a family? Other than yer father, I mean."

"Well I have a mom, of course, and a brother... Do I have a girlfriend, you mean?" The giant nodded, and Mark hummed thoughtfully. "Last I checked, yeah," he answered in a flat tone. "But she was on the Aurora, and I'm not sure if she or my friends are ok..." Jack frowned and put his hand behind Mark.