»part 16.5 » phillip

"Darling, cant' you see I'm a broken man with addictive tendencies and I think I love you..."

It was dark

It was dark.

My eyes shot open the second the loud crashing noise shook everything around me. I felt panic in my chest which made it hard to breathe. Gasping for air, I grabbed my shirt, and did the only thing I knew how.

I called for him.

Tears fell from my eyes, while I tried to breathe between my cries. The darkness was always the worst part, even though mom always told me it was the fear that would kill you. She always told me to never cry. Pretty girls aren't supposed to cry because it shows weakness. I wasn't pretty, at least according to mom.

I squeezed my eyes shut and continued to gasp for air as I called for him, like I always did.

I needed him.

"Cassie," His voice called through the darkness.

"I can't see you," I sobbed, "Please turn on the light."

I held my hand to my chest and felt a fast beat boom through my ribs, shaking me to my core.

"Cassie, it's okay." He said in a clam voice, "Just breathe."

Water filled my throat as I continued to cry in a gargled voice, "I can't, I'm too scared."

Another loud crashing noise sounded in the air and I felt my body stiff. My body began to shake as the darkness became darker.

"Shh," He hushed, "Open your eyes. It'll be okay, I promise."

My teeth began to clink against one another as I breathed in through my nose and out my mouth, like he told me to do so many times before. After a few deep breathes, I pried one eye open to see him sitting there smiling at me through the moonlight that peeked through the window.

"See?" He chuckled, "Everything will be okay, as long as you remember to keep your eyes open."

My shoulders slumped as I blinked, "Dad, I was so afraid. The lady in my dream was back and then it started to rain and thunder. It felt like I couldn't breathe."

Dad cleared his through before scratching his shaggy head, "Was she laughing at you again?"

Memories of my dream began to rush back and I began to tremble. I nodded, "She wouldn't stop laughing at me. It kept getting louder and louder before the thunder shook the house."

He took in a deep breath and looked out the window. This was the hundredth night in a row that I've called him into my room over a stupid dream. He's probably getting mad with me. I know mom is. Every time I try and talk to her about it she yells at me about being a big girl and how I shouldn't need my dad to come put me to sleep. But I can't help it.