4- Enemies

Jeff stared at me several days later as I descended the stair case with a fluffy red blanket wrapped around me. I glared back at him, hating every essence of his being. Overnight, I had begun to think of ways I could outsmart him, or even kill him myself.

"You're irritating," he mumbled from his spot on my couch.

"I'm irritating? You're blackmailing me into being your new best friend," I groaned.

He laughed, tossing his head back in a maniacal way. "That's not what's happening, Beauty Queen."

"Wow, no Bitch this time," I grumbled, sitting as far from him as possible on the couch, which was easy to do considering it was rather long and L-shaped.

He had the local news channel playing. The newscaster was announcing there hadn't been any killings in the last week.

"It seems the serial killer that has been plaguing the northwestern states has gone silent. There have been no reported killings since last Saturday on September 3rd. It is advised civilians remain indoors at night with windows and doors locked. If you notice any criminal activity or a man with this appearance, please contact your police department."

Several pictures of a man with long, deep slits carved into his face and bugged out eyes were displayed on the t.v.

"Man, it kills me every time," Jeff began cackling at the pictures.

They looked nothing like him but they didn't seem that funny.

"So, I'm guessing that's how you get away with being in public?" I asked, genuinely kind of curious.

Jeff leaned back in a confident manner.

"Obviously. I can hide in plain sight. Could you imagine if people knew? If only the old lady I helped cross the street yesterday knew I was the one who killed her son," he laughed as he spoke.

I raised an eyebrow.

"You helped an old- wait. That's beside the point. You can go in public with no issue at all? No one knows what you really look like?"

"Yes. No one knows I'm actually tall and handsome," he smirked, pushing his black hair back.

I stared at him with no emotion for a moment, mulling over the fact that he thought I was self-obsessed.

"Then we're going to the grocery store because I'm sure me leaving alone isn't part of your plan or whatever," I said and stood up.

Jeff folded his arms behind his head and pressed his lips together as he thought about it.

"Yeah, okay. I have a bag in your guest room, could you get me a different shirt out of there?"

I threw my blanket at his face.

"No! When did you even put that in there!?"

I was angry so much could go unnoticed by me. He was more stealthy than I wished I could be.

"You know what? I don't care. I'm taking a shower," I decided and went upstairs.

I took longer than necessary, just standing under the nearly scalding water, staring at the tiles in front of me. I hated being under someone's control. I couldn't change it. Or else people would die. And I really didn't want that. So I'd have to play by his rules.

But...

That didn't mean I couldn't make his life hell for the time being. I excelled in getting under people's skin. I smirked evilly as I stepped out of the shower.

Jeff might be a killer, but something was keeping him from killing me. And although I could never be truly safe with him, I knew I wasn't exactly not safe. I was making a new game for us, one that'd I'd win every single day.

Brains and beauty are deadly.

I jumped out of my shower and toweled off. I blew dry my hair, with my own this time, and left it with its natural bouncy wave. I swiped eyebrow powder over my eyebrows, put on mascara, and dabbed some fleshy pink lipgloss on. I wasn't going to go all out. Not yet, anyway.

I wrapped a towel around my body and padded into my room, throwing open the door to my closet. I pursed my lips as I observed the mess of clothes and shoes. I grabbed a fitted, baby pink suede skirt and long sleeved white bodysuit shirt.

"I'm ready!" I sang as I strode up to the back of the couch, my hands on my hips and the heels of my light brown booties clacking.

I loved that sound.

It sounded like...

Power.

"About time," Jeff grumbled and turned off the tv. He stood up and turned around. His eyes went dark as they roamed over my body.

"What's wrong?" I asked, an innocent edge to my not so innocent voice.

"Nothing. Let's go. You lead the way."

"Mhm," I mumbled, smirking as I turned on my heel and sauntered towards the side door.

Boys would always be boys. Easy and predictable.

So simple to manipulate.

If I was careful I might even get some fun out of this.

"Jeff, I can't reach that box. Can you grab it?" I asked, as I stretched my body to try and grab the cereal box.

"Yeah, whatever," he mumbled, seemingly distracted.

"You're acting weird," he noted as he placed the box into the basket.

I smiled as I shook my head. I pressed myself against him as there was no one currently in the aisle.

"Not really. I just figured since we're going to be spending so much time together..." I trailed off and turned around, shrugging my shoulder as I continued down the aisle, him trailing behind me.

"If you're trying to play some game," he suddenly growled in my ear. I hadn't realized he had gotten so close.

"I would never. Not with the threat you have," I whispered back and continued walking, the lie coming out as sweet and smooth as honey.

Judging by the satisfied look on his face, he had believed it.

He followed me down several more aisles as I got mostly breakfast and junk food. It was just more fun.

I hid the smirk that was begging to be shown as I made my way down an aisle in particular that seemed to make Jeff's body go a little stiffer.

"I'm out," I shrugged nonchalantly as I tossed a pack of condoms in the basket.