29- Failures

This wasn't the plan.

I took off running, not caring to look behind me or question who the being was that spoke. I knew the way back. I knew I didn't get turned around in the fight.

What I didn't know was if this was a set up or not. Did Splendor plan this? Let his brother take me out and take out Jack and Kori? And why didn't Jane show?

I knew they wanted Jeff to join, but would they really go through all this. How strong is Jeff? Was he really that needed?

Needed by the Slenderman?

Or by Jane?

An unsettling feeling grew in the pit of my stomach. My mouth grew dry. She didn't go after Jeff did she?

What would she be capable of doing to him?

I took comfort in knowing she wouldn't kill him. She was too obsessed. But I knew she'd try to draw that murderous insanity out of him once more.

My legs carried my through the forest faster. I didn't hear the being following me but that didn't really matter. He was the slender man. For all I knew, he could be waiting for me back at the house with his piece of shit brother.

Someone emerged from the tree line, crouching in the path of my sprint. My knees and thighs collided with it, spending me airborne and tumbling back onto the ground again.

The high pitched shriek gave it away.

"Kori!?"

"He took Jack," she whispered, her gaze distant and eery, almost completely catatonic.

Her dark eyes, almost golden amber in the moonlight, looked dull. She looked as if she were elsewhere. Living through something I couldn't quite see.

My shoulders sagged. Everything went wrong. This isn't what was supposed to happen.

Her dark hair was wild and her forearms were scratched and bruised. Whatever happened, she had put up a hell of a fight. Her veins were almost black, running around her arms like spider webs. I didn't know why but now wasn't the time to ask.

"Kori, who?" I asked, attempting to move closer to her until she held up her hand.

"Father," she growled.

We were betrayed. The truth made me uneasy. How was Jeff? How would Kori and I be? We were vulnerable now. No gun or tricks could save us now. These were beings beyond are strength, not to mention my own father couldn't save us.

He would have had no idea we were in this situation until I couldn't report back at the right time which would be about an hour if my internal time wasn't messed up.

"My joy and my moon. My love is gone. My happiness is ruined," she spoke, a stony glare setting into her eyes as she looked into the distance. Her dark brown eyes faded into a piercing blue.

I raised an eyebrow at the sudden change, stepping back slightly before something else caught my attention.

A twig snapped from the area Kori was glaring into. Her eyes zeroed in, scanning the area in a way I never knew she was capable of. Wide eyed and flighty Kori now looked ready to kill. Not be killed.

But I knew better.

We couldn't fight one of those.

"Kori, if this is them, we'll d-"

"Shut up," she hissed, thrusting a hand towards me briefly to shush me.

The colored dots made their way to our vision first. I clutched my gun for comfort. Kori stood from her squatted position, her chin tucked close to her chest and her head tilted ever so slightly. Her lace shirt clung to her form as she stood straighter.

"I am so sorry. He was controlling me, Kori. You have to understand."

The being trembled as he spoke.

I felt as if I was missing something. Why was he afraid of tiny little Kori? Kori who always had messy curls and a pretty pout.

Kori's voice turned icy.

"I understand you were weak. Like always. You bow down to your brother every single time. I was a fool for thinking you could get rid of him," she growled as he kneeled in front of her and pleaded for her forgiveness.

Kneeling, he was her height and could see her glowing eyes with his own black orbs.

"You took the one thing I loved," her voice rose.

"The one person apart from my brother who could calm me and my storm inside."

Her voice reached new heights of dominance and aggression.

Splendor's eyes grew wide as the blue in Kori's grew brighter, the same blue lighting up within her hands and veins.

"Hear this, killer. I will hunt you for the rest of your life, my brother at my side. If you do not return him to me..." Kori shuddered ever so slightly, "if Jack is dead... if I don't feel him once more, I will not hesitate to slaughter you, your brother, and every other being of your kind that roams my Earth."

Splendor let out a sob.

"You know what Kenai could do to us, I-"

Kori thrust her hand out, taking the beings neck tightly in her grasp.

"I will be more unforgiving than Kenai has ever been, if you don't bring Jack back to me. Now get out of my sight."

She pushed the being backwards, a blue light erupting from her palm. It swallowed the being and his cries. Kori knelt down once more, a tired groan leaving her lips.

I crouched down beside her, taking note of her dark black veins spreading throughout her arms.

"I'm not a killer, if that's what you're wondering," she mumbled.

"I wasn't," I promised.

She nodded her head slightly, taking my hand as I helped her stand. She slumped against me slightly.

"We need to find my brother. And then we need to find the boys. Those idiots."