10- Pills

I blew an auburn curl out of my face as I stared at the wall of boxes in front of me, my hands stuffed in my red pea coat. I had insisted Jeff stayed in the car on the account that I didn't want even more stares at what I was purchasing. I sighed as I grabbed the simplest looking box and hightailed it to the front counter, but not without grabbing a box of condoms to replace the one I had left at home.

The woman working had harsh looks and a rough appearance to her. I guess she was in her 40s, not looking exactly old but not young either.

She raised an eyebrow when I set the box down, blowing her bubble gum as she rang it up with a judgmental look. I gave her a sarcastically sweet smile in return when I finally slid my card. I took the paper bag from her hand with more force than necessary.

"I really hope it works for you, hun," she called in a condescending voice.

"Fuck off, hun," I said, matching her voice and turning around again to flip her off before I left.

In my defense, I'm naturally aggressive and being hung over only amplified that.

I angrily climbed into the driver's seat of the car and opened the box containing the pill I definitely needed. I downed faster than I had ever taken any other pill and put the car into drive.

Jeff began to speak as he pulled the other box out of the bag but I quickly cut him off.

"Condoms," I jabbed my finger towards his face to further my point in that they were definitely going to be used from now on.

After we got back to the lake house, Jeff decided we should watch a movie, which would have been a good idea. Except I was wanting to distance myself from him a bit.

It was strictly going to be hooking up. I couldn't be in a relationship with a killer. Not me.

I sat at the end of the couch while a another scary movie began, hoping that Jeff would sit closer to the kitchen since he was coming from there. But when he strode out with the popcorn after turning all the lights off, he plopped himself right down next to me. I chided myself for wanting to lean into his warm body.

I grabbed another handful of popcorn as the movie began to reach it's climax. The last girl left alive (it's for real almost always a girl) was wandering the halls of an abandoned underground subway system after all her friends had been killed off by a gang of clowns. A clown she thought was dead was closely following her getting ready to strike. I jumped when the clown lunged toward her, his crow bar stabbing her in the neck. I cringed at the gore and surprise attack.

Jeff's hand that's was resting on the back of the couch behind me squeezed my shoulder gently. I found the action both endearing and annoying. God, what was wrong with me?

The movie ended with the girl dying and a new group of kids entering the subway system at night. The clown watched from a crack in the wall with a creepy smile on his face. The dead girl's body laid in the background.

"I hate clowns," I mumbled to Jeff as I turned off the t.v., a shiver running down my spine. It wasn't even close to being night but the overcast weather and my tiring hangover made everything feel later.

"Want to take a nap?" I asked him as I stood up and stretched, my dress riding up my thighs as I did. Jeff's eyes raked over them slowly as he spoke.

"Yeah, actually. Everything still hurts from drinking. I bet you feel worse though," he commented.

I nodded my head as he followed me to the bedroom.

I stripped out my dress and climbed into bed, ignoring the gasp Jeff gave at the sight of all the bruises he had left on me. I had seen them when I had taken my shower, but I personally thought it was kind of hot.

Jeff had already abandoned his shirt for only his sweats earlier so he was pretty much set. He laid next to me, his gaze lingering for so long I felt inclined to look at him.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Do you remember what I told you last night?" He asked in return, "When you were painting on me."

I tried to rack my brain but came up with nothing.

"Uh, no. I only remember what we did."

He made a humming noise as he turned onto his back. He seemed conflicted as he stared at the ceiling. His blue eyes were squinted just a tiny bit as he scowled.

"What did you say?"

"It's nothing," he stated right away.

I didn't believe that.

He sighed and turned away from me.

For some reason, the way he was acting concerned me.

"Hey," I began, nudging his back.

"Don't worry about it, Rosalie."

I pursed my lips and inched closer to him. I wrapped my arms around him and pressed my forehead against his back. I kissed his back and laid my head down against the pillows and closed my eyes.

I smiled as I felt him lay his hands over mine.