Chapter 9 (toothless pov)

"Well. Sort of. You see when a dragon finds a mate for life they protect them, never leave their side,and even give up their life for them." I instinctively glanced at Hiccup. Once I realized what I had done I quickly darted my eyes forward. Crap. I thought. I hope he didn't notice.
"Anyways it's getting late. We all had a big and eventful day. We all should get some rest." Hiccup said having heard enough.
I quickly agreed and hopped off of the perch I was crouching on and quickly raced home to avoid hiccup. I then proceeded to pounce on my bed made of rock and pretended to sleep. I heard the door creaked open and heard the clanks of hiccups medal leg until it stopped right beside me. I heard a soft whisper.
"Hey. You up buddy? I wanted to ask you if you were talking about me back there? Come on toothless. Are you awake?" Hiccup whispered. I didn't answer instead I continue to pretend I was asleep. I heard clanking yet again. It was heading in the direction of his bed I couldn't help but blame myself for what had happened to hiccup I really did try to save him. ALL of him. I didn't do that to get revenge on him for what he did to my tail. I was pulled away from my thoughts when I head Hiccup get under the covers.
"You can talk to me bud. You know that. Right?" He tried one last time to get a response from me. Finally I had to answer him. I couldn't take it anymore.