Episode 1

Crunch!

My sandwich I purchased this morning before heading to school was currently being reduced to paste by my teeth before swallowed. I sat on the rooftop of Mitakihara Middle School, alone. I was enjoying my lunch, alone. The busy nature of the students didn't catch my attention, especially since I've been shunned by my peers all my life. Well, except for one. But she's gone now, so it doesn't matter if I talk about her.

I was alone, with the exception of a blue-haired and a pink-haired first year students at this school. But, they sat far from me so I paid no mind to then. That is, until I went to throw the tissue paper they wrapped my sandwich in when I saw it.

A small, cat-like creature. It had white fur and four ears, one pair representing the average cat and the other similar to those of a rabbit's. It had red eyes and golden rings around the longer ears. At the bottom of the ears, it appears that it is separated into three, colored pink-white with three red ovals. It had a large tail and pointy ears, inside of the ears is dark pink. On its back is a red, egg-shaped gem on its fur. It was currently sitting on the lap of the pink first year, enjoying portions of her lunch.

I went up to the two students. "What are you doing with that thing?" I hissed. The pinky held the creature tighter to her chest with blue gave me a "scary" look. "Have you come to make a contract with that monster?"

"Kyubey, who is she?" Pink asked.

"Her name is Rei Maizano," the creature explained.

"Can't believe you consider yourself humane enough to give yourself a name," I scoffed.

"I've always had one," Kyubey tilted its head to the side. "It's always been my name since I could remember."

"Stay away from my friend!" Blue shouted.

"What are you going to do, Blue?" I taunted, a smug look going across my face. "Punch me? I heard your threat to the newbie. You think punching me is going to stop me?"

"B-Blue!" She sputtered, embarrassed at my nickname and that I knew about her empty threat to the new student. "I have a name, and so does my friend. I'm Sayaka Miki and my friend is Madoka Kaname!"

"Yeah yeah," I waved them off. "What part of your life is so screwed up that you need Kyubey to fix it?" I snorted.

"Um..." Pinky, or Madoka in this case, mumbled.

"H-Hold on!" Sayaka sputtered. "We were just offered this yesterday! We still need time to think!"

"If you takes you that long to decide on a wish, then there's nothing going on your life that you desire to change," I shrugged. "Which only leads to one other reason why you want to make a wish; you want to feel special."

"That's not..." Madoka trailed.

"What, does being a Magical Girl make you feel special?" I taunted. "You think you can be different from everyone by just being someone who fights evil with sparkles? Are you kidding me? Because, hate to break it to you-but you're not special. And you will never be, even if you're a Magical Girl. And besides, why do you need to position yourself higher than the level society is on? What's wrong with being ordinary?"

"Because being a Magical Girl is wonderful," a sweet voice gushed. I instantly grew sick from the sweetness in the voice, like a child eating too much sweets at once.

I looked up to another section of the rooftop to see a familiar twin drill pig-tailed blonde, Mami Tomoe. I smirked, "Hello Mami."

"It's been a while, Maizano-san," she smiled from her position.

"It surely has," I shrugged. "But, I want to ask you; why are you standing so far away from me if you're talking to me? According to your big book of tea party etiquette, you're supposed to be talking to the person next to you. And, you're not next to me, so you're being rude. Unless..." I smiled devilishly. "You're afraid your guns won't be enough to protect you?"

"I won't use violence unless necessary," Mami called.

"Still humble as always?" I tilted my head. "Is it because that's your personality, or are you trying to look good in front of your pawns?"

"Pawns? I think not. Listen, Kaname-san, Miki-san, don't let Maizano-san put you down. She just has a bad experience of being a Magical Girl and bullies others to make her feel better about her mistake."

"Mistake? Excuse me. I wasn't the one who forced my best friend out of this city because you couldn't agree with her method of fighting."

"Well, that's because she decided to become selfish and I had to part with her."

"If you're going to talk shit about her, get down from your perch above us all and say it to my face, unless you're worried I'm going to kill you for real this time."

"Hey, you don't--" Sayaka started.

"Stay out of this, brat," I glared. "This is between us."

The tension between Mami and I was so tight even my bladed fans wouldn't cut through them. We are really close to transforming and starting a fight here, or maybe taking it to a spot where not many witnesses are present. But, the new first year, a girl with cold grey eyes that can kill by just looking at someone and long silky black hair came up to us. "Are you here to pick up where you left off yesterday?" Sayaka yelled, turning her attention to her and forgetting about Mami and I.

"No," the newbie replied nonchalantly. "I have no such intention." She eyed Kyubey as if she was formulating a torture plan for it at this very moment. "I hoped to kill it before it came into contact of Madoka Kaname, but it is too late now..."

"So what will you do?" Newbie asked. "Will you become a magical girl as well?"

"I..." Madoka trembled, holding Kyubey closer to her than she did with me when I approached it.

"Like you or Rei have any right to ask us anything!" Sayaka scoffed, putting up a tough act.

"...Do you remember what I said yesterday?" Newbie said to Madoka, Sayaka's words meaning nothing to her.

"Yeah..." Madoka nodded.

"Good," the transfer turned away from us. "Then I'll pray my warning will not have been in vain."

As she left us, Madoka called to the newbie. "Um...Homura-chan!" She yelled. "What did you wish for when you became a magical girl?"

The newbie, or "Homura" now, freezed up before turning around and giving Madoka a long, hard look before walking away from us. "Hmph," I turned around. "I guess I'll take my leave here before I 'accidentally' slit Mami's throat from getting agitated."

"Hey, how do you know Mami and how did you know about my threat to the transferee this morning?" Sayaka challenged.

"Because, dumbass," I rolled my eyes before turning to face the girls. "I'm a Magical Girl. I thought Kyubey, Mami, and I had made it obvious in our conversation. I could hear you telepathically communicating with each other, and I've never had so much of a hard time concentrating in class in my life. Couldn't you have been a any less obnoxious?"

I stalked off before those two pestered me some more or Mami annoyed me again. But, my heart did ache. Mami was right; the topic of Magical Girls was a sore subject for me. But no matter how much fake kindness Mami has, no one can never understand why. No one will. All except one person, and that because she was with me the whole time.

And she isn't even my sister.