Chapter Five

Chapter Beta: Sakura's Unicorn

_____

戦国時代

The next week is torture for Sasuke.

While Itachi is in better spirits—his colour has improved and he's once again able to sit up and entertain visitors—he remains weak. Sasuke lives in fear of another seizure that might rob him of this bit of vigour.

By day, he dissuades their clansmen from further attacks on the enemy by ordering supply runs and the forging of new weapons. The soldiers accept these neutral directives for now, but Sasuke can see impatience in their eyes—especially Inabi's. There's a constant, tense expectation by the battle-hardened warriors for the catalyst that will reignite the conflict.

At night, Sasuke wonders about Sakura.

He tells himself it's just out of self-interest—if she's caught, it could ruin the chance of a cure for his brother—but he knows this to be a hollow lie. He can still remember the touch of her skin against his and the taste of her on his lips. When he succumbs to dreams, they are always of that illicit night in the cave.

It was just release, he insists. Just two people seeking distraction. It won't happen again.

He knows better than to deny the fact that he wants it to.

To combat this feeling, Sasuke tries to spend time with Hinata. She's the woman he will marry, after all, and she's beautiful in her own way. She should be the object of his newly-awakened desires—it would be so much easier if she was—yet her presence barely registers. For all Hinata's kindness, she's somehow faceless to him—a living, breathing woman, yet devoid of the colour and animus he associates with Sakura. Sasuke isn't sure if that's due to the Hyūga tendency to breed the spine out of their women, or because the green-eyed healer has bewitched him.

Probably a bit of both.

At least Hinata doesn't seem offended by his lack of interest. Perhaps, she's resigned to it—she was raised to be a bargaining chip for her family, after all. Most likely, she never gave any thought to having a choice.

He's not sure if that makes their situation better or worse.

"Is something bothering you, Uchiha-san?" she asks him quietly one day. They're wandering through one of the requisitioned villages, her sullen cousin following at an acceptable distance for a chaperone.

Sasuke is as surprised by the nature of the question as by the fact that she asked it. When he shoots her an incredulous look, she turns red and looks at her feet, squeaking out, "You just...seem preoccupied."

"I have a lot of responsibilities," he tells her, offering one of his usual vague answers.

Hinata nods in acceptance, and he watches her shoulders hunch, as if she regrets the attempt to open up. It's irritating in a completely different way from Sakura, and he's tempted to tell her to have a little more conviction. Then he remembers that the whole reason he's entertaining Hinata right now is to forget about Sakura. He's supposed to be getting to know his fiancée, not comparing her to the woman who's been haunting his sleep.

"My brother's been ill," he tells her, the words awkward on his tongue. He dislikes acknowledging any kind of weakness on the part of his clan, even to an ally, but it's an actual reason for his anxiety. "I've had to make some adjustments."

Behind them, Neji makes a noise of choked surprise. He is unapologetically eavesdropping and seems surprised that Sasuke actually answered.

Hinata's eyes soften in understanding. "I am sorry to hear that," she murmurs. "I remember when my mother became ill. It's a most horrible disposition...being useless. I hope you've found a capable healer. Itachi-sama is a good man."