Chapter 18

Jacob and Cassandra had been excited about the case since it popped up in the main clippings book. The occult in America had been a special research project of theirs since they'd reunited (the occult books being moved to an area infested by giant spiders was just a bit of a setback) so being able to put it to practical use at the unusual university was a big thrill. Then there was the very idea of being on a college campus. As far as Jacob knew (one never actually knew about the thief) Baird was the only member of the assembled staff that had a degree and she'd gone to a military academy. Cassandra, by all rights, should have gone to her choice of schools, probably had a half dozen doctorates by now. But the tumor had made that impossible.

As for Stone, well . . . . Even if he'd been honest about his intelligence, there had been no money for college. He'd actually won a scholarship for football at a minor school, his momma had been more than excited about it and even Pop had thought that him majoring in business would have been useful. But Momma got sick right after graduation and he'd given up the scholarship to hold the family together. There had been no money afterward even for a community college and even though he'd dreamed, he knew it was never going to happen.

So for both Stone and Cassandra, this case was a bit of a dream come true. For a little while, until things went south as they almost always did. Why Jacob ever thought these things would be easy, he never knew.

He did learn a valuable lesson that day. The old adage never meet your heroes was absolutely true. Roger Bancroft turned out to be a pompous blow hard who barely knew what he was talking about. And that was before he got sucked into a rift by a tentacle monster.

But then a cheerleader mistook him for a guest lecturer. Cassandra's voice rang through his head, reminding him of how Flynn used to give lectures and seminars when he was the only Librarian. His spine straightened and he smiled at the girl. He was indeed.

He uncovered something very important that opened up the case. But at the same time, he discovered something important about himself. He loved lecturing. Right there on the fly, with a whole bunch of young eager minds hanging on his every word. How much of a rush would this be if he could do this with time to prepare?

Proud of you. Followed by a heart came the text from Cassandra when he quickly sent a text letting her know that he was going to finish out the class and meet up with them afterward.

But it was Cassandra that he would come to be proud of as the day went on. Found out it was possible to be both terrified and have your heart swell with pride at the same time. He imagined he'd feel this way about his son at some point in the future. But for now, it was directed at the woman he loved.

--

Originally the case had been exciting, Cassandra reflected. She'd always longer to have followed that path she'd been set on as a small child. The ultimate reward for sacrificing her childhood had always been a good school. Then maybe a well deserved gap year before she settled into doctoral studies. But her tumor had ended that dream and had shattered her parents who were completely unable to dream a new dream for their only child.

Aunt Gertie's home had become a temporary refuge, the two of them giving back to the community. But whenever Gertie had done some work with anyone college aged, Cassandra had always found something else to do. Even now, Cassandra sought out volunteer work with children or the elderly, never with high school or college aged people. The pain was still real. Though it had eased a little bit in Chicago, helping a young woman named Amy find her own path instead of the one her mother had chosen.

She'd tried that same approach with young Lucy. But unlike Amy, who had really wanted to be a typical teenager and had been in love with her young man, Lucy wasn't interested in following any path that was not academic. She even had some degree of popularity, she'd gotten them into the frat party, no questions asked. But none of that was for Lucy.