❤️Chapter Five❤️

Aiden's POV
(Y/N) looks like an angel when she sleeps. Oh, who am I kidding? I think (Y/N) always looks like an angel.

When Ivor's too busy grumbling to himself and Faith's occupied by talking to Reginald, I make sure no one is looking and place a small kiss on (Y/N)'s forehead, instantly blushing afterwards. {This is your birthday present this year, Lainey. You're welcome.}

"Oh, wow, what is this?" Reginald asks, approaching our cell with a block of sand afterdigging through a chest of our stuff.

"That's . . . mine?" Faith says in a questioning tone.

"It looks like dirt . . . ," Reginald says. "But, not."

"It's sand," she says.

"You've never seen sand before?" I ask.

"'Sand'. Wow. What's it do?" he asks.

"Are you kidding me? We are not going to explain sand to the guy locking us behind bars!" Ivor says. "I refuse!"

"Well, whatever it does, it's going in the chest with everything else," Reginald says.

"Nothing sadder than an unimportant man on the world's tiniest power trip," Ivor scoffs.

"Hey, I don't have to take this—I'm in charge here!" Reginald counters. "You're criminals. We all know that you're terrible people!"

"We're not—!" I shout, thereafter lowering my tone, careful not to wake (Y/N). "We're not criminals."

"You burn down trees for fun; you steal all the world's treasure for yourself; you tame wild animals so they'll attack innocent people—," he lists.

"Do we look like terrible people?" I ask, mostly referring to (Y/N).

"Well . . . no . . . ," he says. "I suppose you don't seem that way now that I meet you. . . ." He looks off into the distance and I have hope that he's going to let us free—until he says, "I'm sorry, but this is the way it has to be. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go help the Untamed Wolves beef up security."

He walks away, my hope fading. "Can't believe I'm listening to that little—" He clears his throat. "Stay here and don't cause any trouble. I'm sure you'll be very comfortable."

"Reginald, we aren't lying," Faith says.

"Really? Kind of seems like a 'your-word-versus-theirs' situation," he says.

"Tell me this—what in the palace have they seemed the most interested in?" I ask.

"They were very interested in finding out about guard schedules and the layout of the palace . . . ," he says, soon after realizing what he said. "Aw, geez. . . ." {Two words: Face. Palm.} "Okay, let's say you make a good point. And I'm not saying you do! But hypothetically. . . . Why would I, the Captain of the Guard, let you, criminals, out of that cell?" {I find Reginald to be such a laughable character for some reason.}

"Because you know it's the right thing to do," I say.

"You do make a compelling argument . . . ," he says. He looks off again and hums in contemplation. He walks to the lever controlling the door. "Okay. Let's say I'm heading to the pantry to get you prisoners some bread. And, maybe, I accidentally forget to lock the door?" He smiles evilly then throws the switch. His duplicity pleases me. "Please, just get out of here. Get to the throne room and stop the Untamed Wolves."

I don't want to wake (Y/N), so I carefully carry her out bridal-style. She nestles into my shoulder.

"Cutie," I whisper.