Chapter 10

Chloe’s POV

It was another week, and again, someone would be going home. Last week, Jojo and Asia left. Mackenzie has been said since Asia left because Asia was her best friend. So this morning, after I was prepared and ready to dance, I went to the main room for the group dance challenge. I got there with Travis, and I told him about some ALDC experiences.

“Hello dancers! Congratulations for making through another week!” Abby said right after we started to warm up. “This week, is the ‘Extreme Technique Week’ which means every single dance/piece would be about technique. So if you have been taking ballet classes frequently, you would have a huge advantage.” Abby said. I was feeling confident about my technique, but since there were amazing technical dancers such as Kalani, Maddie and Addison. So I got nervous.

Gia taught the combo to us. It was not hard, but it was tiring. We had to do lots of turns, and there was one part where we had to do four a la seconds into a triple ballet pirouette, and two fouettes. There was another part where we had to do a sissone, a jump, chaine chaine, calypso jump. Also, the combo was very long. 

“Okay dancers! Now it’s time for the real challenge.” Abby said. “Five, six, seven eight.” Then the music started. An arabasque, chasse, grand jete. Chaine chaine and we moved to the centre. “Jordyn you are out! You’d better work on your feet because they were sickled!” Jordyn was out. “Nia you are out! Pointe your feet!” Abby then yelled. And as we did our combo, Abby eliminated a few more dancers: Gino, Travis, Brynn, Kenzie, Trinity and Paige. So we had to do our combo again. During the second round, Abby eliminated Zack, Sophia and a few others. That means we had to do the choreography once again, and I was sweating a lot. After the third round, the only ones who were left were Maddie, Kalani, Addison, Amanda and I. I haven’t won one single challenge yet, so I thought it would be really important for me to win one. 

“Amanda, you are out. Your right foot were sickled when you started that turn. However, you were beautiful.” Abby said, as Amanda walked to the side. “Addison, you are out as well. Remember to stretch your knees. It is scary to have bend knees. But I enjoyed it.” Abby said. I haven’t seen Abby being so nice in a while, and I was surprised by the fact that Abby was being really nice during half of the challenge. 

“The winner, or let’s say the technical queen of this ‘Extreme Technique Week’ is, Chloe!” Oh my gosh, I actually won this technique challenge. “Maddie, Kalani. Unfortunately, you are not the winners, but you were beautiful too. Great job.” Abby said. “Good job!” Maddie said to me. 

“Chloe, since you won this challenge, you have a reward. You will be doing a solo this week. Also, you can choose another person to do a solo. Who do you choose?” Abby asked. I thought Brooke really deserved it, because she was amazing and she has been working really hard, but Abby doesn’t pay attention to her, so I thought it was a great way for her to stand out. “I choose Brooke for the second solo this week.” I said. “Okay.” Abby said, I guess she was surprised. Then we were all dismissed.

Brooke’s POV

I was so excited to have a solo this week. A solo could give me a huge chance to shine, and please Ms. Abby. I really wanted to please her, so that I could have a better chance of winning this competition. But in ALDC, Ms. Abby was not happy with me, and definitely not happy with my mom. I just hoped that I could do very well with my solo so I could be at top. It was important to always be at the top, especially in this competition.

My solo was choreographed by Gia, who I have been knowing for years. My dance was a contemporary piece, with a lot of acrobatics tricks. The music was “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri. “Chaine chaine, turn turn, attitude, hold.” Gia said when I was learning my dance. The part that I was a little bit nervous about was a turn part. It was a part where I had to do a lot of different types of turns, fouettes, a la seconds, coupe turns, pencil turns, or some regular pirouettes. My turning skills were not as good as my tricks. In the dance, there were lots of techniques involved, and I was not scared about it, because I thought I was quite good as ballet, and I had beautiful technique. I was excited for my dance. With Gia’s choreography that includes most of my strength, I thought I would be safe for another week.

Maddie’s POV

I have been assigned in a tap trio with Sophia and Autumn. Although I thought I was pretty good at tap, but comparing to the tap diva, Sophia, I thought I would look weak. I didn’t know much about Autumn and how good she was at tap since I haven’t seen her doing tap.

Our dance was choreographed by Gina Starbuck. “This dance is really entertaining, it’s a lot of fun, it is not really hard, and it focuses more on your performance.” Gina said. “Okay, Sophia you are in the middle, Maddie you are on her left, and Autumn you are on her right. You will be doing pirouettes altogether.” Gina said. Sophia was definitely really confident in herself, especially while we did the consecutive pirouette part, because she could do 55 consecutive pirouettes in tap shoes. I was feeling okay with those pirouettes, at least I was able to catch up and not being behind. Autumn was struggling a little bit with tap, because she said that her least favorite style of dance was tap. I really liked our trio, as well as the music.

Brynn’s POV

This week I am in a lyrical group routine with Mackenzie, Dylynn, Kalani and Addison. Our choreographer was Joyce Chittick, who I thought was really nice. This dance was about a girl who was abused, and was trying to attempt suicide while other girls push her to death. I was really happy that I was the little girl who was featured. There involved a lot of turning and it was a technical dance. Kalani soon took the number one spot for this dance when we started learning, except she was not confident in her turns. I really liked the choreography although it was hard. Mackenzie struggled a little bit at lyrical because lyrical is not her best style. She usually does acro or tumbling.  I was really excited for the performance, because I thought it would be a great routine for me.

Trinity’s POV

I was not upset at all that I was not the challenge winner. I actually expected that result, that either Chloe or Kalani would be the challenge winner. I actually thought I would be the first person out of the challenge. In fact, I was a bit surprised that I was not the first person who was eliminated during that challenge. With ballet or any technical dance, I would not be able to outdance other dancers because I wasn't confident with myself. And since the week was entitled "Endless Technique Week", I was really nervous. I had a big chance of going home. And thank goodness, I was assigned a jazz number, and I was really excited about it, and it was the only thing that I was excited about.

Anthony Burrell was our choreographer. Our dance was entertaining, it was fun, it was fierce, but at the same time it was actually a technical dance. We had to do lots of turns with a turned our passe, and I was not confident in those. The person who had the best technique would probably be Amanda, but she was not good at performing. I was good at having the power, but I didn’t have good technique. Bostyn was probably the best in this dance in general.  

Working with Anthony was stressful. He changed choreography instantly, and he got mad at us thousand of times already. It makes me didn’t like to work with him that much. I thought that the choreography was not really a jazz piece, I would say it was more of a contemporary number. None of us were really excited for the upcoming performance.

A/N: Sorry about how short this chapter is. This chapter might be a little bit boring, but I tried. Just letting you know that I might add lots of things into this chapter later on if I had another idea.