Chapter 18

Chloe’s POV

At this point of the competition, it was important for me to perform well and be in the top, since Abby said it would be tougher and tougher to stay, and easier to be eliminated. If I want to win the competition, I had to do well.

Since I was already quite confident with myself and I already nailed all my moves for the lyrical dance, I was not worried at all. I was actually very confident with myself. So unlike most dancers, I did not go to the dance studio and practiced my dance for too long. I went over my dance with Zack and Mackenzie several times, and Mackenzie wanted me to help her with her choreography and her turns. So I helped Mackenzie with her turns, we practiced the turn combo several times together, and I went back to my room with Mackenzie.

“I am so scared for today! Abby will probably be even tougher then usual, so I hope that I can be safe,” Kenzie said.

“Trust me, you will be fine,” I told her. Mackenzie has been really tough on herself. She thought that she wasn’t good enough to stay in the competition, and I really hoped that she could be safe and move on in the competition. Although we were competitors and we were competing against each other, but as really close friends, I hoped that she would be fine. Nothing was more important then friendship, even in competitions, I thought.

After lunch, we all head to the dressing rooms, because there was a big rehearsal for all of us to run through our dances with our costumes on, just to get used to the floor, since they changed new floors that we haven’t tried before. 

I was extremely excited about my costumes. Since I was assigned a lyrical routine, my costume was quite elegant. We all had different colours, mine was a colour in between black and charcoal, since my character was mad and living in a dark world. It was basically a short top in charcoal, and a skirt that hits below my knees. It was a lot similar to the costume that I used for my solo “Silence” at nationals, except there was more details and it was in charcoal. It was very pretty and very nice.

The dress rehearsal went very well, I was dancing well in the new floor that they got. I was turning well in them, I nailed everything on the new floor, and I thought that I was ready.

Since Abby was being tough on us, I decided to practice for my dance, although I was already quite confident. But just to be sure, I still ran my dance over several times with Zack and Mackenzie, just to make sure that everything was okay, and also to practice some lifts involved in the dance. All of us were feeling confident about our dance, so we didn’t practice all the time just to save energy.

After, I just had some fruits and healthy snacks just to get some energy for the performance. Then, I just stretched with Kalani and Dylynn together, just to stay warm to prevent injuries.

At about 7 p.m, our performance started.

“Hello everyone. Welcome to the Extreme Dance Awards! Here are our three lovely judges, Robin Antin, the famous choreographer and the founder of the Pussycat Dolls. Next to her is Richy Jackson, who work with Lady Gaga as a choreographer. Also Abby Lee Miller, our main judge in the competition. Let’s hear it for all of our judges!”

“These dancers have been practicing very hard to make to this point of the competition. So, I would like to invite everyone who will be dancing and competing today. Let’s hear it for all of them!” Then, all of us walked onstage just to make an appearance, and afterwards, we head back to our dressing rooms.

My lyrical routine was up first. We walked elegantly and slowly onstage, got into our starting position while it was still dark. Then I did the choreography that I was taught. Tilt, step, chasse, into a grand jete. Then, I waited for a few seconds until Mackenzie and Zack complete their moves. I was doing well, I remembered all my moves that was assigned to me, and I applied all corrections that was given to me.