Chapter 14

Kendall’s POV

After practicing our dances for several days, there came the big day. I walked into the dressing room with Maddie and Mackenzie.

“So, how do you feel about dancing to your own song?” I asked Mackenzie.

“Well, it is fun and I like it, but I can be hard, because it is challenging, because if I don’t do well then the judges will compare my dancing with my singing, which can possibly make my dancing look bad, and I might go home!” Mackenzie said with lots of worries. 

“Well, Abby loves you, if she eliminates you, that means you suck.” Dylynn said.

“Dylynn, there is no need to be mean!” I said.

“Well, oh, Kendall! Come, I want to tell you something.” she said. So I followed her.

“Okay, Kendall. Are you friends with Kenzie?”

“Of course! We are like besties!” I said.

“Really? She was trying to get rid of my best friends last week, this is why I can’t forgive her.”

“Well, but if you were in that situation, who would you get rid of?”

“Well, I would get rid of whoever sucks.”

“Okay.” I did not believe Dylynn, but I did not care about what she said.

Then, we went back to our dressing rooms to get ready for our dances. My hair stylist, Sabrina did a low flat bun, while leaving some pieces of hair around my face and did some soft twists to join the bun. My costume was a light blue dress that was very long. We also wore tan tights and tan jazz shoes.

“So, the duet with Maddie and Gino, the contemporary group number and Mackenzie’s solo, please get ready and go backstage because you are dancing in three minutes.” a staff came in and said.

“Our first dance of the day is a lyrical duet with Maddie and Gino. Let’s welcome them to the stage.” Kevin announced.

Their dance was a beautiful piece to a slow song. It involved lots of chemistry which I thought was perfect for the two of them. They had a turn sequence, when Maddie totally nailed it, but Gino fell backwards after the sequence, There were lots of partnering work and it was a challenging piece.

Maddie got compliments for her dancing, for sure and as always in this competition. But the judges thought that Gino needed to work on his turns and his partnering work.

“Are you guys dating?” the judges asked.

“No, not really, although we know that we should.” Gino said.

“Well then do it!” Abby said.

“Sure.” both of them said.

“Now, let’s welcome Mackenzie’s solo, dancing to her own song ‘Cause you Believe’.” Mackenzie walked beautifully onstage. Her dance was a contemporary piece that involved some tumbling, but mostly technique. Her choreography was amazing.

Mackenzie got good compliments on her dancing, but not really any compliments for her performing because she did not have much facial expressions.

“Now onstage, is the contemporary group number with Paige, Dylynn, Chloe, Brooke, Jordyn!” They walked beautifully and elegantly onstage. Their dance was a peaceful but hard piece with good choreography. Jordyn did not get really good comments, but the rest did.

Our dance was up next. We walked elegantly onstage, and as the music started, we started dancing. I did four a la seconde turns into two fouettes and into four consecutive ballet pirouettes. And I went behind Kalani and did a side kick. Then I stopped for a few seconds, and we did some other choreography.