Chapter Two

Irmina's POV

During mess hall where everyone was having a good morning chat, Commander Erwin's voice made us quiet.

"Cadets!" We all stood up and saluted him. He took a good look around the room before continuing. "We start our practice expedition tomorrow. If you wish to join the Survey Corps, this expedition will test you to see if you are qualified. Your objective is to kill titans."

"Yes, sir!" We all shouted in unison.

I saw Eren glowing with excitement from the corner of my eye. He's always had hatred for titans for he told me they killed his mother four years ago. I hate them too. Not because they did something to me or someone close to me, but because all they did was kill. They had no objective. They didn't even need to eat to survive.

Once Commander Erwin walked out of mess hall, we took our seats. Eren had balled fists, and I could see his veins. I put my hand on his shoulder. He looked at me, and I felt him relax. His body was tense with anger.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, you know how I get when they're mentioned." I gave his shoulder a squeeze before letting it fall to my side.

"I'm gonna go train outside." I told Eren. He nodded his head and I got up to go outside. I took out the knife that I stole from the kitchen. I need a real knife (unlike the wooden ones we used in trading) to train with to get used to its weight and value it's sharpness. I know that small knives are useless against giant titans, but not against humans. I'll never know for sure if anyone will betray me, but I've had suspicions. Especially with Annie. Her skills in combat are beyond my abilities and she doesn't seem to have friends. If anything goes wrong, I need to at least get on her skill level.

I held the knife upside down in my palm, and held it across my chest. I dragged the knife through the air multiple times. Then I tried spinning, flicking/switching, and catching it so that the blade is now upwards. I failed a couple of times before finally catching it. My palm was covered in cuts from the attempts of the twirls and catching the blade instead of the handle.

"Oi." The sudden voice caused me to turn around quickly and hold the blade of the knife to their neck. I looked to see who it was, and my eyes widened when I saw it was Captain Levi. I pulled back the knife.

"I- I'm so sorry. I was practicing and I was in this state and you-"

"You should've asked for someone to help you." He looked disappointed in me. Hell, he always looks like he's disappointed in all of us.

"I'm doing just fine on my own." He grabbed my wrist, hard, causing the knife to fall out of my hands and onto the ground between my feet. My cut hand was exposed, and the pressure of his grip caused blood to drip.

"Get it cleaned and come back when you have it gauzed." He ordered as he let go of my wrist."

"Yes, sir." I walked back into the barracks through mess hall and into my room. I opened my drawer that supplied enough gauze for all the girls I shared the room with. I washed my bloodied palm in the sink, the red-tinted water swirling down the drain. It stung so I bit the insides of my cheek to prevent myself from screaming. After my palm was only cuts and no blood, I used a cloth to wipe it dry. I wrapped the gauze around my palm tightly and ripped the rest of the unused gauze off with my teeth. I put it back into the medical drawer.

I did exactly what Captain Levi told me to do and came back outside where he was leaning against the wall in the shade. He heard the door creak and slam closed and looked my way.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." I said.

Without a word, he handed me the knife I used earlier, except it is now clean of my blood.

He held his own knife in his hand and I watched him.

"To let the knife spin freely and easier, only hold it tight when you're about to put force into it to harm your enemy. This way, if they pull an unexpected stunt, you don't have to release the knife before switching it. Holding it lightly will allow you to just quickly do the switch. Or it can allow you to throw it without it dragging against your thumb so hard." I watched him switch and twirl the knife so easily in his hand, and only gripping it tight when thrusting it forward. His methods were never taught or learned in training. I wonder why we didn't have his input then. It would've saved time now.

"Okay, I think I get it." I gave his method a try, failing at first. I relaxed my hand, the knife almost slipping away. I flung it around my hand and caught it correctly.

I looked at Captain Levi with victory plastered on my face. I'm so proud of myself.

"Try throwing it at that wooden support beam." He said, referring to the one on the porch. I threw the knife at it, but the handle hit it instead. "Now get closer than you were before. The knife is over-rotating. Your aim is quite good though." I went to pick up the dropped knife, and stood closer to the beam than before.

I aimed at the beam, moving my hand back and forth before finally thrusting it forward and letting the knife flick out of the grasp between my thumb and index finger. The point pierced into the wood and stayed there.

"Good." Was all he said before walking away. I looked at the knife that was wedged in the wood and smiled at my achievement.

I like this chapter, what about you guys?