Chapter 14 - The Liberated Liberty

~~~

DISTRICT 71

BATTLE EARTH

~~~

Chapter 14: The Liberated Liberty

It was weekend and the rest day of Platoon Six.

After visiting Simon from the infirmary and putting up fresh flowers at the table beside the bed where the lieutenant was sleeping, Ana headed towards the city.

She stopped by the burger station where she and Simon usually eat.

“Good Day to you Captain! It’s been a long time since you visited us. How is Lieutenant Martinez?”

The store owner asked.

“Good morning Antonio. Lieutenant Martinez is doing good –thanks to your triple-patty burger.”

Ana laughed.

“Then please give this to him later. And this one –is for my beautiful ‘Capitana’.”

“Thank you, Antonio.”

Ana smiled while reaching for the paper bag and the burger.

“How are you and that gorgeous ‘Teñente’?”

“You mean –Jimenez?”

The owner nod with a smile.

“You two would make a perfect couple. I think he likes you very much.”

Ana smiled but did not answer.

“I am old now, but I still like to watch romantic movies. I enjoy watching younger couples fall in love.”

The owner laughed while giving Ana a glass of soda.

“Try to go out with him. Daniella would be happy if you ended up being with him.”

The owner smiled at Ana and winked.

“Somehow, you give me the creeps, Antonio.”

Ana answered and the owner laughed.

There was a doubt in Ana whether she likes Jonas as well or not. She somehow knew that the lieutenant has feelings for her even before, however reciprocating the feelings of any man is not an option to her. She is in the army and her mission is to save people. She cannot have time to love. Their world is in a battle for survival.

After she finished eating her burger, she bids farewell to the store owner and proceeds to the residential area.

She knocked at a wooden door of a villa. When no one answered, she got a key from her pocket and opened the door. It was the house of the late Captain Megara. It was their second home –it was Daniella’s second home.

There was nobody inside the house. The caretaker must have finished the cleaning and went home. Ana directly went to a small room in which an altar was setup. An image of the late captain was placed in the middle of the altar. Ana took some incense sticks and gave her respect.

After that, Ana went to the garden at the back of the villa. It was spacious and there were flowers everywhere. This was where the late captain taught her how to use the sword and this was also where she practices her Wushu after the captain died.

She sat at the middle and for an hour, she meditated. After meditating, she picked up her swords and swayed them gracefully.

It was late noon when she slowly sat down back to meditating position and put the swords down. There was another person inside the villa and it was not the caretaker. That person had been watching her for an hour now and she already knew it.