Chapter 15 - Awkward.

~~~

DISTRICT 71

BATTLE EARTH

~~~

Chapter 15: Awkward.

It was 0500 in the morning when Ana woke up. Jonas was still sleeping beside her and his arms were tangled to her body. She slowly got out of the bed and picked up her clothes that were scattered on the floor. She silently walked towards her shower room to keep Jonas from waking up.

For a few minutes, she closed her eyes and thought of everything that happened between them. When she opened her eyes, she turned the knob of the shower and let the water rinse everything including those memories.

She got out of the shower room and wore clean clothes. She looked at the man sleeping in her bed before opening the door and went out of the room. She decided to visit Simon at the infirmary but the doctor said that he already got out last night so she went to the lieutenants’ quarters.

She knocked and slowly opened the door. The second lieutenant woke up and saw Ana.

“Hey, you’re here.”

The lieutenant greeted the captain.

“The doctor said you were released last night.”

Ana said.

Simon checked the time –0545 hours.

“How are you feeling now?”

Ana asked.

“I feel much much better. I think I can already join the exercises starting tomorrow.”

Simon answered with a smile.

“Good to hear that. How about your wounds... are they still hurting? Do you want me to clean them for you?”

“No! –I mean, no. No need for you to do that. I can manage that but thank you anyway.”

“Okay.”

Ana sat at the vacant bed opposite to Simon’s bed. It was Jonas’ bed. It was empty since the lieutenant was currently sleeping at Ana’s room.

“I didn’t know that you two are now ‘making-out’.”

Simon said and laughed shortly.

“Making-out!!? Simon!!!”

Ana was shocked. She blushed. She didn’t know how Simon knew about what happened.

“I- It’s just... it’s just last night! And it’s not going to work anyway.”

Ana explained herself and sighed.

“Why? You know that we are a fan of your romance.”

Simon laughed again.

“Dammit Simon! Please cut it out.”

Ana pleaded Simon and he listened to her.

“It’s not gonna work. We’re not gonna be happy.”

Ana said.

“Ana, I don’t understand why you’re stopping yourself to be happy?”

“Because, we are in a battle –our world is at war. We are not fighting to win. We are fighting for survival –and surviving is the main reason why we are alive today. Saving people is the main reason why we are in this army. We don’t have time for loving or for having a family. Simon, can you understand me?”

Simon asked for Ana to sit beside him.

“It seems our captain has already lost her battle. Are you sure you are still our Captain –the best in this entire district? The captain I knew values life more than anything in this world. She values family so much that she can even stand alone and face everyone who tries to harm that family. Remember that we don’t have an immortal body. We can die anytime in this world that’s why we live our lives the best that we could. Captain, I want you to live your life to the fullest. If Daniella was still here, she would want you to be happy and she would be happy if you marry her ‘Daddy Jonas’. You still have a long way to go.”