Chapter 17 - "Take Care of Her"

~~~

DISTRICT 71

BATTLE EARTH

~~~

Chapter 17: "Take Care of Her"

Two months later, another military exercise was prepared for Platoon Six. This time, Lieutenant Martinez did not join the exercise. It made Ana worry. After finishing the exercise, she headed towards the infirmary’s laboratory to check Simon there. The doctor said that the lieutenant had just finished his laboratory examination and that it was crucial for the lieutenant to join the exercise because he had a serious injury in his shoulders. However, Ana had a different feeling about it. Someway, she believed that the doctor was hiding something.

She went to Simon’s room and found him resting on his bed. She slowly sat on the bed beside the sleeping lieutenant. She stared at him. She can somehow feel pain when she stared at his best friend’s face. Although he was sleeping peacefully but there were traces on his face that showed suffering. She knew right there that Simon was hiding something from her.

She held his hand and slowly Simon’s eyes opened.

“Hey, you’re here.”

Ana smiled.

“Did everybody finished the exercise safely?”

The lieutenant asked.

Ana did not answer but tears suddenly fell from her eyes.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Did the two of you fight? What happened?”

Simon sat straight.

“Tell me, Simon. Is everything alright?”

The captain asked.

“I don’t understand you, Ana.”

Simon said while shaking his head.

“You’re in pain.”

“Ana...”

Ana then saw the bottle of pills from the pillow of Simon. She took it and read its label.

Oxycodone...

“Why are you taking this, Simon?”

“Ana...”

“Just answer me, Simon!”

“I’m sorry... I just don’t want you to worry.”

Ana pulled Simon’s shirt from his neck that bared his right shoulder. Ana saw that it was still in bandage. She lightly gripped his shoulder bone and Simon twitched in pain.

She covered her mouth and her tears fell continuously. She knew that that part was where the monster had bit him more than 2 months ago and until now it was still open. It was not healing and it had been contaminated already. She knew what’s going to happen next and she cried hard.

“I’m sorry, Ana.”

Simon said and he hugged her to comfort her.

For the next hour, she didn’t speak. She was just holding Simon’s hand. She waited for the lieutenant to sleep again before coming out of the room. She went back to the laboratory and talked to the doctor.

“How many more months, doctor?”

Ana directly asked the doctor.

The doctor had no idea of what Ana was talking about.

“I saw the pills that you are giving to Lieutenant Martinez.”

Ana continued and she saw the doctor breath deeply.

“Let’s talk inside my office, Captain.”

Ana followed the doctor inside the office and she sat at the patient’s chair.

“Captain Torres, you know that I can’t talk to you about the condition of my patient. But I know that you are close as a family to Lieutenant Martinez. The most is three months, but he’s going to experience the worst pain that he would wish to die instead. I’m really sorry, Captain.”

Ana cried and the doctor gave her time to speak.

“Does the government already knew this?”

Ana finally asked and the doctor shook his head.

“How long can you keep his condition, doctor?”

Ana asked.

“You know that I’ve been studying this condition since the aftermath. I tried to find cure and I am still looking for a cure. The government had killed thousands of people with this kind of condition and if the government finds out about the lieutenant’s condition, they will surely order for his immediate execution. Until now, I can only find a cure for the pain but once the virus contaminated his brain, it may be hard for us to keep his condition. He will only suffer and slowly the virus will eat his flesh. He will be a walking zombie if he survive after the next two months.”

Meanwhile, Lieutenant Jimenez returned to their room after their platoon’s ending exercise party. He saw the second lieutenant sleeping. He was still wondering where the captain went. He decided to have a shower and when he returned, Simon was already awake.

“I heard you’re not feeling well.”

Jonas said while drying his hair.

“You know, I had broken shoulders.”

Simon smiled.

“Do you have any idea where the captain is?”

Jonas asked.

Simon did not answer.

“She just left after finishing the last course. She didn’t even come to the buffet that the Major prepared for us.”

Jonas said while putting on a white shirt over his head.

“Lieutenant, are you willing to risk your life for her?”

Simon suddenly asked and the other lieutenant was surprised about it. He sat at his bed and looked at the second lieutenant.

“Why are you suddenly asking me that, man?”

“Nothing... I’m just curious.”

“Hey, did something happened?”

Jonas kept asking.

“I told you, man, I’m just curious.”

There was silence for a few seconds and finally the first lieutenant started to talk.

“Recently, I find myself caring for her. It’s not the same care years ago when I started liking her. It’s more than that. I feel like I love her now. And man, even if you ask me to take care of her, you don’t have to. I will protect her no matter what.”

Jonas said.

“It’s good to hear that, Lieutenant. And remember this, NEVER make her cry. Just be there for her no matter how she push you away. Never leave her, cause if you do that, I’m gonna kill you, man.”

Simon said and smiled.

Jonas nod and returned the smile to the other lieutenant.

“I promise, man.”