Chapter 16 - The Date

~~~

DISTRICT 71

BATTLE EARTH

~~~

Chapter 16: The Date

It was another weekend when Ana knocked at the lieutenants’ room. She opened the door and saw Simon at the table reviewing the district map. He was preparing for another military exercise. On the bed, she saw Jonas lying reading a district newspaper.

“Captain, you need anything?”

Simon asked Ana.

“I need Lieutenant Jimenez to come with me to the city. Meet me downstairs in 0005 hours.”

Ana commanded and immediately left the room.

“Is she asking me for a date?”

Jonas asked Simon while changing his clothes. The other lieutenant just silently laughed.

Ana met the lieutenant downstairs.

“You’re late. Here.”

Ana threw a pair of keys at Jonas.

“You drive.”

Jonas caught the keys while Ana jumped in a four-wheeler jeep beside the driver’s seat.

The lieutenant started the engine and drove off to the city.

“Where are we going, Captain?”

“Just drive. Turn left on the next street.”

Ana answered.

“You are now kidnapping your lieutenant just to have a date with him?”

Jonas smiled and Ana can’t help but smile too.

“Turn left.”

Jonas did what Ana asked him. They ended up in a closed warehouse.

“Let’s park here.”

As soon as the engine stopped, Ana jumped out of the vehicle. Jonas followed her. They knocked at the door and an old man opened it.

“Good morning, Captain Torres. They are already waiting for you.”

“Good morning, Sun-Yong. I brought with me my first lieutenant, Jonas Jimenez. Lieutenant, this is Sun-Yong, the caretaker of this place.”

Ana introduced Jonas to the caretaker and they went inside.

As soon as they got inside, a couple of children run towards Ana and greeted her.

“Captain! You’re back!”

The children surrounded her and she kneeled to hug them all.

“Hello everyone! How is everybody?”

Ana asked the children.

“Captain! Captain! Are you going to teach us again?”

One of the children asked.

“Yes, Mayu, and I’m not going to be the only one. I brought Lieutenant Jimenez with me.”

“Captain, he’s handsome. Is he your boyfriend?”

Another one asked.

Ana just looked at Jonas and just before she answer, another child asked the lieutenant.

“Are you the boyfriend of Captain Ana?”

Jonas laughed and scratched his head. Since he doesn’t know how to answer, he returned by asking a question.