Chapter 11 - R.I.Ped

Author's Comment: I apologize if there are wrong grammars. I don't have volunteer editors so I may not be aware of my mistakes. You may correct me anytime using the comment below. ^_^

~~~

DISTRICT 71

BATTLE EARTH

~~~

Chapter 11: R.I.Ped

Ana’s team arrived at the upside-down tank. Jonas just opened the hatch and saw the two unconscious men.

“Martinez and Perez is not here. Captain.”

Fuck... Where the hell are you Simon...

“How about Cruz and Fernandez?”

“They are unconscious, Captain.”

“Santos, do first aid. I will find Martinez and Perez.”

Ana’s team where able to locate all the tanks and provided backup operation. There were a total of six fatalities and most of the survivors were wounded. However, they were still unable to locate two of their men.

Ana heard shots few meters away and run towards it. She then saw bodies of different monsters. Blood was scattered and finally, she saw Simon leaning beside a tree. She was about to call him when she noticed movement at the branches above the tree where Simon is leaning. It was a monster and it was going to lurch forward towards Simon. And two shots were heard. Ana shoot them.

The monster fell in front of Simon. It was already dead. Its head was blown apart.

“Simon!!”

Ana run towards the bleeding man and hugged him tightly.

“Ana...”

“Thank God. You’re still alive! Oh my... you’re a mess.”

Ana gave a short laugh and looking at the wounds of Simon.

“Ana.. I lost Perez... I’m sorry.”

Simon said in a low voice.

“Don’t worry, I’ll find him. Can you stand?”

Ana helped her lieutenant to stand. Jonas came right in time to assist them.

“Captain, I’ll carry him.”

“Jimenez, please take care of Martinez. I’ll find Perez.”

“Captain! I won’t let you find him alone. I’ll go with you.”

“Jimenez, I need you to secure Martinez first and send the other teams back to the district. They need medical attention.  You’ll hear gun shots when I need back-up.”

“Yes Captain!”

Ana left and disappeared in the trees. She already knew that finding Perez alive was impossible. She stopped and closed her eyes. She gathered her thoughts and opened her senses to any possible movements around the area. It was hopeless, as there were no strange movements. She opened her eyes and inspected her surroundings. She noticed blood drops at the ground.

Perez...

She went towards the direction of the blood drops. The drops were becoming bigger as she arrived to a blood pool. She stopped at the end of the blood pool and slowly sat on a duck position and bowed her head. She was too late. In front of her was the ripped body of Perez. She clenched her fist and punched the ground. She lost another man. She reached for the tags and insignia from the uniform of his fallen comrade and kept it inside her pocket. When she released her hand, she was holding a lighter.

Jonas came after a few minutes later. He saw the smoke and run towards it. He found Ana sitting at the ground while watching a body being burned.

She did it again...

Jonas knew that Ana was taking everything to herself. She cannot let any of her men see the condition of their fallen comrades when they died –how brutally they were killed. Just looking at her, he knew she was helpless. It was always the same every time they had fallen men, and when Daniella died.

He walked towards the tree in front of the burning body and carved the words “RIP Perez”. He joined Ana right after.

“You alright?”

Jonas asked Ana.

“I think so. Let’s move.”