Chapter 34 🥀: In The DMs

Mariah's POV
*
"Mariah?" I was sitting Indian style on the floor. I looked up at Keisha, down at myself, then bursted into tears. I felt my lip quiver as I sobbed.

I bet y'all wondering why I'm acting like I lost my damn mind.

*cue rewind like a BET movie*

"Why you actin' like you hidin' some'?" I asked Trell. He sucked his teeth, waving me off.

"I ain't hidin' nun." He mumbled.

"What the hell eva'."

"Aye, man, fuck allat attitude shit. Whatchu tryna eat?"

"I don't care. Get my wallet and get the twins some, too." He sucked his teeth.

"Girl, stop. You know imma feed y'all." He walked out of my room, leaving the door open. I rolled my eyes, picking Diamond up off the bed. I went to the living room and sat down on the floor with her, playing.

"Nigga wanna cheat, I cheat back." I say in a babyish voice, reaching for my phone. I scrolled through my Instagram DMs, which had plenty of niggas I could choose from.

Young_nicca_dre: Girl you so fine 😍

MoneyRiyah: Thank you boo 😊 you not too bad yaself 😂😜

I locked my phone, laughing. After a while, Youngboy came home and me and Dre were still texting.

"Why you on the floor?" He asked, sitting beside me. I shrugged, texting Dre back. My phone was snatched out of my hand.

"What the hell, Kentrell?" I hit him as I tried to snatch it back.

"So you textin' otha' niggas?" I sucked my teeth and crossed my arms.

"You being secretive and shit. You cheat, I cheat back." He scrunched his face up, looking pissed.

"Cheat?  Who the hell cheating? YO ass cheating, not me!"

"You ain't foolin' nobody. Why you always gettin' quiet when I come in the room all of a sudden? Or goin' outside to talk on the phone? Black folks don't do that shit 'less they cheatin'." He sucked his teeth, running a hand over his face.

"Since you wanna be Inspector Gadget or some shit, I was gon' take you onna date. A real ass dinner date, I was gettin' everything set up so I could surprise yo' ass. But you always on that fuck shit. Why you don't trust me? I don't do shit, I'm loyal to you, and instead of you being loyal back, you cheat. If I was texting otha' females, you woulda had a big ass fit, and lecturin' me on how that's cheatin', too." I sighed.

"Kentrell--"

"No, Mariah." He got up off the ground, grabbing his keys.

"If you can't trust me, why the hell we together?" I felt my eyes water as he turned around and walked out, shutting the door back. I felt tears roll down my face, still frozen in my spot.

Keisha came and sat beside me, wrapping her arms around me.

"Aww, Riah, what happened? I gotta kill Kentrell?" She asked softly. I laughed softly as she picked sleeping Diamond from my hands and onto the sofa.

"No, it was me." I told her what happened.

"Lemme tell you something." She sat in front of me, holding my hands. She sighed.

"Mariah, you know you my best friend, I love you to death, so what I'm bout to tell you is some real ass shit." I nodded, wiping my face.

"You need to let that hurt go..."

"I-I'm not hurt." I flexed.

"Yes you are. From Jaden, from your family lyin' to you, let that shit out ya heart. That 'Don't Trust Nobody' shit is not gon' get you far with him. Riah, I've seen the way that boy looks at you, the way he talks about you, the way he treats you. He really, really likes yo ass, if not in love. If ya mindset is that everybody is out to hurt you, then he can't heal you from ya hurt. I know that's all he wants to do." I bit my lip, taking in everything she was saying.

"Girl, trust me, three kids, two baby mamas, and the possibility of more? I did NOT like the thought of y'all being together. I saw him, how you made him happy, how he made you happy, and I realized what I thought didn't matter." We laughed.

"I think I love him, too."

"Let him in." She said as she got up, helping me up.

"Where the twins?"

"Wit' Beenie." She said.

"Girl, imma go lay down." I say as I walk to my room. I laid on the side of my bed and drifted off to sleep.

*

I felt the bed sink behind me, staring at the wall. I felt him wrap his arms around me.

"I was at the studio for a lil bit." I nodded.

"I was thinkin' bout what I said." He spoke softly in my ear as I braced myself for a breakup.

"I know you been through a lot. I know you been lied to a lot. I know I gotta be patient."

"Being lied to ain't an excuse for what I did--"

"But I understand, though. You was tryna hurt me before I hurt you, right?" I sighed.

"I'm not here ta hurt you. I wanna make you feel better." He whispered, hugging me tighter.

"I wanna make you feel better too, pooh. I just..." I stopped.

"I'm sorry that I don't know how to love, I'm sorry that I don't know how to love." I pulled a headass move, and quoted his lyrics.

"Whatchu said hurt deep, but I ain't say shit." He quoted back. I kept silent. My phone started ringing. It was an unknown number. I answered and put it on speakerphone.

"This call will be recorded, and monitored. I have a collect call from--" The robotic voice stopped, and static started for a while, before it began talking again.

"--an inmate at West Baton Rouge Parish Jail. To accept this free call, press one." I fumbled to press one, sighing when the phone started ringing.

"Hello?"

"What the fuck?"

_______
Who do you guys think is calling from jail? 🐸☕️

Tbc ❤️...