Chapter 4 | Ominous Waves and Golden Magic

The two teens sat under the tree as the crisp Mewman air blew over their skin. The stars were beautiful, and it all came from Star's mind, due to the weird thing she found out she could do only the other night.

"Star, how many bowls of Captain Blanches are you gonna eat," Marco said as he held his sandwich, taking a bite of it as he watched the princess down her third bowl of Sugar Seeds.

Star Butterfly smiled as milk dribbled out of her mouth as she spooned another scoop into her mouth. "As much as I can eat. They don't have this stuff on Mewni. When I become queen... or if I become queen, I'm going to demand they sell this at stores all across Mewni."

Marco watched as she downed her third bowl of cereal, then she reached for for the box and poured her another bowl-ful. He smiled in amusement. She was so adorable, it gave him butterflies. Pun not intended. He finished the last of his sandwich as he watched her dump the cereal into her open mouth.

"You're adorable, you know that?" Marco piped up. He wasn't so insecure anymore, and that made this even more true considering the fact that they were in Star's mind.

Star looked over at him wide-eyed, and a milk mustache painted just below her nose. "Mm-hm..."

"Hold on, let me get that for you." Marco chucked as he he leaned over and gently kissed her nose, tucking her messy bangs behind her ear. Star smiled and accepted the kiss.

"Aw, Marco," was all she could stifle.

"How did I not notice how adorable you were before?" The boy rubbed the back of his head shyly. He was still awkward around girls, even around his former best friend, now girlfriend. He still couldn't believe this. He was dating a princess from another dimension. His best friend. Star Butterfly. Princess of Mewni. How did this all happen?

Star smirked. "It took me almost dying to the hands of Toffee for you to notice."

"Yeah... I'm so glad you're okay Star. I don't know what I'd do without you. You changed my life so much... I'm forever grateful to you..." His eyes started to glisten with tears as he spoke.

Star almost dying was one of his biggest fears, even before they became a thing, and to think that he almost lost her was scary.

She flinched as she saw him cry. "M-Marco... please."

All of a sudden, the ground started to shake, and the sky became dark with clouds. Her dream was collapsing.

"What's going on?" Marco looked up at the now stormy sky.

...

Star awoke with a gasp. The warmth from her cheek emblems vanished. This was reality. The sun shone brightly in her windows, producing a beautiful yellow curtain of light.

"Ugh... my head." She put a hand to her head. It was pounding with a vicious migraine. Projecting a dream like that took a lot out of her.

She looked around for any changes. She was still in her room. Same bed, same wallpaper, and no Marco.

The door flew open and a boy came running to her. "Star!"

"Marco!" She squeaked as she felt him embrace her tightly and riddle her face with kisses. She happily accepted them, however, despite her headache.

"Are you okay? Did I hurt you? I'm sorry... I didn't mean to bring that up. I just... I thought I lost you that day..."

"Yeah, I'm fine Marco... I just have this ugh... headache." She clutched her head tightly. The pain was immense. It felt like someone took a hammer and repeatedly knocked her in the skull with it.

Marco looked at her with concern and gently pulled her into a hug. He softly patted her hair and smoothed it down, trying his best to soothe her. He rested his chin on her head and ran his hand down her back, rubbing it in circular motions.

Star smiled softly and hugged her boyfriend back. It was amazing, it was like her headache was magically gone when he hugged her. She could feel the overcast of pounding pain slightly lifting.

"Star...?"

"Yeah...?"

He pulled her from the hug and grabbed her shoulders, looking at her in the eyes. "What exactly... happened to you in there? You know... when you were  with Toffee?"

Her mood shifted. She went from serene calmness to unexplained fear. Her pupils became smaller and she as she looked at Marco, then she looked away as her eyes started to fill with tears. "I... um..."

"Please..."

"He um... I was inside my wand. All of the magic was black and dull... except for a few specks. Toffee... he was this goo. And then..."

She could feel the pain coming back. She shut her eyes.

"Star?..."

"And then he regenerated. I fell... all the magic was gone except this one itty bitty speck at the bottom. I swam and swam but it was no use. That changed too... then I drowned."

Marco's eyes widen at Star's story. He frowned at her. "You died?... So he did kill you... ugh if he was still alive I would... I would..."

"Well, not exactly..."

"Then what happened? When I thought you died... I kinda... punched a hole straight through him."

"You WHAT?" Star gave him a look of shock.

"Yeah... eh heh. He felt like this big pile of goop. I see why they called him Toffee. He sure does feel like it. But it wasn't worth it. I got punched into a wall and blacked out for a second."

"Woah, that's awesome!" Star smiled at him.

"Not as awesome as you," Marco smirked. "Turning into that huge butterfly thing and completing destroying Toffee. All with a smile on your face!"

"I don't know what that was... I can't control it." Star shrugged. "All that matters is that we're both okay."

"Yeah. I never want to lose you again."

"Me either Marco. I think we deserve a summer of just doing nothing... on Mewni this time. As long as we've known each other, I never really showed you my home," Star said, her attention drawn to the window.

"That sounds good, but uh... what about your parents? They want to separate us."

"I don't care what they say. They can say what they want but I'm not leaving you. Ever." She blushed. "If you couldn't tell already, I'm deeply in love with you."

Marco blushed at her last remark. He didn't know what to say to that. "Staaaar, stahp."

"It's true," she smiled and grabbed his hand, softly touching it to her heart-stamped cheek. "You really touched my heart."

They both laughed and the pun, satisfied that they got to laugh for once after all that happened.

"Now, what do you say we get something to eat," Star said, "maybe you can sneak back to earth and get us another box of Sugar Seeds? Eh? Eh?"

"Maybe... you can't eat a lot of that stuff. It rots your teeth ya know? Also my parents are probably worried about me. I've been gone for a while ya know. I should really tell them I'm staying with you this summer."

"Yeah yeah yeah. Come on Marco, let's go eat something, then maybe I can show you more of Mewni! There's the forest of certain death. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?" Star grabbed his hand and pulled him downstairs.

"Yeah... a place with certain death in the name surely sounds like a lot of fun."