Chapter 17 | Defiant

She held two fingers to the side of her pale neck, checking for a pulse. She felt nothing.

Her skin was cold to the touch, stiff and without resilience. She was for sure gone.

Star had sunk to her knees, a steady stream of tears leaking out of her eyes. Her mind could not believe that any of this was real, and was denying the fact that this had just happened. Queen Moon Butterfly the Undaunted was nothing but a carcass on the ground, a framework of what she had used to be.

"Maybe we could... b-bring her back? Maybe I could do a spell...?" Star said, turning to Marco who had had watched her struggle to accept the fact. He had his own tears starting to form.

"I don't think that would work, Star... She was gone as soon as Eclipsa won," Marco choked. His eyes were on the princess's face; her face had tensed up in preparation for another wave of tears.

Star had let out a soft whimper, using her hand to wipe the tears leaking from her eyes. She had turned her back to Marco, burying her head into her deceased mother's chest.

Marco had watched her, unsure of how to comfort her. There was nothing he could do in this situation. The queen was dead, replaced by a queen who should have been dead centuries ago, and judging by her power, there was nothing to two of them could do most likely. All he could do was reassure her to the best of his ability.

The boy winced, walking over to her quietly, sitting beside the grieving blonde. He had placed his pointer finger to her back, feeling her spine as he slowly lowered the other fingers, causing her to wince and turn her head. The boy had gently rubbed her back, calming her down a little, as marked by the sobs becoming tiny squeaks. He knew she was broken. He could see it in her eyes, once blue and bright, now dull like the twilight zone of the sea. The purplish heart on her right cheek had a tiny crack in it, glowing slightly.

Star had threw her head into his chest, using her hand to grasp his hoodie. She was shivering, not from the cold but from the distress she was in. Her mind was in denial, vying for dominance. Marco gently wrapped his arms around her small figure, rubbing her back. He had gently removed her devil horns, allowing her hair to cascade down her back, and softly buried his nose into her soft blonde mane. He shushed her as her sobs became weaker.

"Shhh... I... I don't know what to say to you, Star... except that I'll be here for you... no matter what happens," he had whispered.

"B-because there's nothing to say..." she whimpered, "My mom is... dead... because of me. I should have listened to her. She was only trying to protect me, and I had to be an idiot and... and go after Toffee alone... then again with Eclipsa. I just couldn't listen, could I? I'm... I'm nothing, Marco..."

Marco had sighed, his frown becoming deeper. His hand came up to her head and he gently stroked her hair. "Nothing is your fault, Star. You're amazing... and if your mom were still here, she'd be telling you how proud she is of you. You have come so far in your journey, and you have matured to much. Star, please don't blame yourself. You gave it your all... you should be proud..." He grabbed her shoulders and looked her in the eyes. That once childish charm that he had seen within her from when they were friends was gone, replaced by a mature aura. The old Star Butterfly was dead. She had to grow up, and learn to face things on her own more than ever.

"I love you, Star. And... I'll try to support you through this the best that I can," she heard him say. Star had shut her eyes, feeling a calming sensation wash over her. All she saw was black. She could feel no emotion. She was lifeless, emotionless. She felt Marco's embrace release, and she opened her eyes to see him looming over her.

"I think we should have a small funeral for your mother... what do you say, Star?"

Star had nodded her head at him. She knew they had no time to throw a proper funeral. After all, Eclipsa was probably at the castle right now, making changes to the government. Star knew in her heart that she had to put a stop to it, and that she had to dig deeper than ever. "That would be nice..."