Chapter 19 | Star the Underestimated

"Will you come and visit?"

"Aww, okay... well, I and your mother both understand how much Star means to you."

The two parents and Jackie looked at their son in sorrowful loss. It had been two weeks since the evil queen was defeated, along with the death of Star's mother. With the unexpected death of the current queen, the young princess was soon going to be rushed in as the new queen of Mewni. This had nothing to do with Marco, of course, but he wanted to be there for Star no matter what. He knew how apprehensive she got even at the mention of the topic, and he wanted to be there to support her, to calm her overactive nerves.

The boy gave a reassuring smile to his parents. "Don't worry, Star and I will come in visit when we aren't so busy reconstructing Mewni. Eclipsa really messed up."

"You and Star go on some crazy adventures, huh? You guys need to show me around one day," Jackie chuckled, crossing her arms. As much as she still loved Marco, she knew in her heart that his true place was with Star, and she inadvertently knew it even when they were dating.

Marco gave a short chuckle back as he gave the skater girl a soft hug. "Of course, I'm sure Star would love to see her earth friends again." He then let go and gave a warm hug to his mother who was sobbing steadily.

"Oh Marco, we'll miss you so much, but we are so proud of you. You went from safe kid... to running an entire kingdom in the span of a year!"

"Yeah, we're so proud son," Rafael said as he patted his back.

The boy let go and gave a nervous smile. "Well, I wouldn't go and say that. Umm... I'm not sure if I will be the new king. I'm just staying to keep Star calm during her transition.

"Yeah, he's going to be the new king," a voice said behind him, which caused him to turn his head. Janna was standing in the stairway, her head propped against her cheek with a mischievous smirk on her face. Marco gave her an irritated look.

"I think you'd make a great king, Marco. Maybe you'll give Mewni some order. We know how wild Star can get," Jackie replied, in which Marco rubbed the back of his head. He was afraid out of his mind, but he tried his best to not show it. It was sort of hypocritical for him to try to help Star with her fears, when he was just or if not more afraid than she was.

"Well, everyone, I should get going. The ceremony is starting soon. You guys are free to come afterwards. I'll open a portal so you guys can come," Marco said, giving his parents one last long hug, in which they returned. After a tearful goodbye, Marco gave a short nod before pulling out his dimensional scissors and slicing through the dimensional rift once more.

~•~

The young princess hastily brushed her long, knee-length hair as she eyed the reflection staring back into her in her deep blue eyes. The girl directly in front of her was no longer just an irresponsible princess. She wore a hot pink poofy dress, with poofy sleeves and a low neckline. Her neck was adorned with pearls, and her hands were covered by dainty, silk gloves. Moving back up to her head, it was topped with a small tiara, beads also lining the sides of her head. She had light makeup on, blue eyeshadow and ruby red lipstick. Oh, it was too much for her to see.

Star's eyes darted away from her reflection as she grasps each side of the vanity. It was all too much for her. In just a short while, she would be queen — not princess, of Mewni. Her time has come way too soon. She had not finished her training just yet. She wasn't ready, and she didn't know if she would ever be. She had just lost her mother, and her mother was one of the only people who kept her sane throughout this transition from princess to queen.