Chapter 16 | The Fallen Butterfly

A flash of fire was witnessed as Tom Lucitor stepped out of his skeleton horse-drawn carriage. As his foot touched the ground, his heart thumped in his chest. He hoped that Marco and Star weren't angry with him. After all, he did apologize from the bottom of his demon heart, and was honest as he could be. But he still wanted to be on good terms with them one hundred percent. Star was in trouble, and he had to find out what was wrong.

Tom's eyes wandered up the castle. After Star's face off with Toffee, it was still needing a few more repairs, as highlighted by the castle's innards peeking through the concrete. He stuffed a rose into his chest pocket as the door zoomed closer and closer to him.

Tom exhaled deeply as his knuckles touched the wooden door. He mustered up the strength to knock as his mind began to race. What if Star wasn't okay? What if that Eclipsa woman was doing something to her? He loved Star, and even though they weren't together, he still cared about her a lot.

He knocked a few times, and there was no answer.

His ears picked up the sounds of rustling, and he waited for a minute before he saw the door handle turn. The person at the door was not who he expected to b there.

River was standing there in the doorway. He wasn't wearing his crown, exposing his bald head. His beard was unkept, strands of hair sticking in all directions. He had been up ever since Star went missing, and his wife had went to find her for the second time. The stress was taking a toll on his health, as made obvious by the visible bags under his eyes.

"River," Tom said in slight shock, "what happened? You don't look good. I'm here to see Star. Is she here? Is she alright?"

The little man just hung his head low, holding back tears. "I'm afraid she isn't, boy," he choked, "she's gone."

The demon felt his heart thump as those words rolled off of his tongue. "Where is she? Do
You know where she is, Mr. Butterfly?"

"I don't. My wife... she left with my boy Marco to go search for her. I couldn't go with them, you see. I have to stay and look after the castle while it gets repaired."

Tom felt frantic. He put his head in his hands and groaned. "This isn't good at all. Do you know where they went to go and search?"

River let out a heavy sigh, then made eye contact with the frantic demon. "I don't know exactly. Star could be anywhere on Mewni."

Before River could say another word, Tom had ran towards the forest, marked by a sign that was painted with red blood. Even though the king didn't give a clear answer, he thought he would check there first. After all, the Forest of Certain Death was home to Mewni's greatest threats, including monsters. "Thanks so much Mr. Butterfly! I promise I will find your family! You stay and look after your citizens."

River smiled weakly. After all, they were good friends to the Lucitors, and he secretly admired Tom's willingness to change. It reminded him of himself.

~•~

Star awoke with a gasp. Her eyes shot open, her cheeks radiating heat. She was alive... or at least she thought.

Her eyes scanned her surroundings. She was on the forest floor, with the canopy shielding her from the blazing sun. Bits and pieces of the sun's rays were breaking though, heating up portions of her skin.

She gently patted her face with her dainty fingers, feeling her sizzling cheek marks. Yes, she was certain she was alive, and that she was out of the dreamscape. She smiled to herself; she had finally mastered the art of dipping down. There was one issue though: where was Marco and her mother? If she was able to contact Marco, her mother mustn't be far behind, right? And Eclipsa... she couldn't let Eclipsa anywhere near them.