Chapter 39: Free from Control

Leon jumps down from the tower and was back on ground level then found Annabelle standing on her own, but pushes herself from the wall. "You okay?" he asks, she looks at him and nods. "Add the final piece," she informs him, he nods at her and places the insignia inside the picture. It was complete and the wall slides open and revealed a door.

The two exchanged looks and Annabelle went to take a step forward but started to fall. Leon catches her and pulls her arm over his shoulder then picks her up. She pants and nods at him, he nods back at her and he walks through the door.

~8~8~8~

He steps out of the door and looks down the path, "Annabelle are you alright?" he asks her, she blinks momentarily and looks at him, "I'm alright, my body is just... overwhelmed at the moment." she tells him, "If you need a moment to rest, just let me know, okay?" he asks her. 

She nods at him and Leon walks up the hill. "Annabelle?" he said, "Hm?" she answers looking at him, "What did Krauser say to you?" he asks her, Annabelle looks at him in shock them looks away from him. 

He is never going to love a monster like you, something that's not human. A freak of nature. 

Or have you told yourself this and just hope like a moron that they aren't true. Admit it, you know it's true. 

we're both freaks of nature, test subjects of madmen that want to rule this world of ours.

His words rang in her head and she kept looking away, Leon stops and looks at her. "He was just trying to get under my skin and it worked." she answers him, Leon figured she was hiding something from him, he went to ask her, but then stops as he radio went off. Leon sets Annabelle down, he pulls it out and answers it. It was none other than Saddler. 

So it seems you killed Krauser too. How should I return my appreciation? 

Saddler asks, the two exchanged looks. "Wha? What are you talking about? I thought he was with you." Leon questions him. 

What are you talking about? Did you really think I would trust an American?

Saddler questions him, Annabelle shrugs a little, "He's got a point." she whispers, Leon shot her a look and she shrugs again. 

To tell you the truth, I was contemplating how to get rid of him. But thanks to you, that's no longer necessary. 

He chuckles. "You were just using him right from the start!" Leon snaps at him, Saddler just laughs. 

I must hand it to you. You've demonstrated quite a bit of promise by killing Krauser. When your assimilation with Las Plagas is complete, I'll have you serve as my guard.

He informs him, a vein on Annabelle's head tightens and she reaches for the radio, Leon pulls it out of her reach and jerk her into his chest. 

She struggled in his arm as he pulled the radio back. "Unfortunately, I have to decline your generous offer." he states and looks down at Annabelle who was almost free of his grip. "I have prior engagements." he answers her and tightens his grip again. Annabelle huffs at him and blew out some of her hair. 

Enjoy your smart mouthing while you can. 

Saddler informs him and hung up. Leon places the radio away, Annabelle exhales as she looks up at Leon. "Do you need more saliva?" she asks him, he looks down at her and shook her head. "No, I'm okay for now," he tells her, patting her shoulder.