i.

CHAPTER ONE.
(
THE SKY IS FALLING )

      Olive Collins snickered as she stood outside the training simulator. Team Plunk, as she liked to call them, had just failed yet another rescue mission. Lance, Hunk, and Pidge trudged out of the machine and came to an ashamed stop in front of Iverson, who took one look at the failed cadets before turning to the group of students.

      "Well let's see if we can't use this complete failure as a lesson for the rest of you students. Can anyone point out the mistakes these three so-called cadets made in the simulator?"

      A random student raised their hand, "The engineer puked in the main gearbox!"

      "Yes, as everyone knows, vomit is not an approved lubricant for engine systems. What else?"

      "The Comm Spec removed his safety harness!" 

      Iverson nodded.

      Olive grinned, locking eyes with Lance. "The pilot crashed."

      "Correct. And worst of all, the whole jump, they're arguing with each other! Heck, if you're going to be this bad individually, you'd better at least be able to work as a team!" Olive became uninterested, picking at the chipped nail polish adorning her fingers. She'd have to repaint them later. She looked back up to Iverson, seeing the small bits of spittle flying at an incredible rate from his mouth. What color should I paint them next? Purple? She frowned, having an internal argument with herself. Purple doesn't really go with the uniforms here. What about blue? That's orange's complementary color. She shook her head, looking back up at Iverson, "-cost the lives of the men on the Kerberos Mission."

      "That's not true, sir!" Olive's eyes widened at Pidge's outburst, and then cringed as Iverson shot him a dirty look.

      "What did you say?!"

      Lance quickly jumped into action, slapping his hand over the smaller boy's mouth, "Sorry, sir. I think he may have hit his head when he fell out of his chair. But point taken."

      "I hope I don't need to remind you that the only reason you're here is that the best pilot in your class had a discipline issue and flunked out. Don't follow in his footsteps. Next!"

      Olive actually felt bad for Lance as he and the rest of Team Plunk headed back to their dorms. She patted Hunk on the shoulder and gave him a small smile of sympathy as he passed.