viii.

CHAPTER EIGHT.
 ( BIG ROBOT MAN )

Olive was on the Bridge when the alarms went off. The Lions had just freed their leader and Shiro was crowned as the Black Paladin. It seemed that no one could catch a break.

"Son of a quiznacking bitch!" Olive hissed, rushing over to the large window on the east side of the room.

"Sendak is entering the Arusian atmosphere. We need Voltron now!" Allura yelled into the coms.

Olive could only watch as the Lions exited the Castle and flew to the Galra ship. She watched helplessly from the command center while her friends were out saving the planet. She couldn't help but feel a little glum, missing out on all the action.

She nearly fell over when the Castle was first hit with the ion canon.

"The barrier gets weaker with every blast. Once that shield goes down, the Castle will be defenseless." 

Allura paled at Coran's words, "I can give you cover with the Castle defenses for a while, but you have to form Voltron now or we'll all be destroyed!"

Olive heard Hunk's voice resonate from the screen. "Jeez, no pressure."

Olive did fall over the second time they were hit. She had a clear view from the large window of what the Lions were doing. She laughed a little as Hunk rammed his Lion into Keith's. Good job Hunk, she thought, he deserves it.

Allura was sweating. "Quickly, Paladins! Our energy levels are getting low!"

"What the hell are they doing?" Olive asked as she watched them fly in formation, straight into Sendak's... Red beam? What?

A second later, an ion blast destroyed the Castle's particle barrier.

Olive was devestated. "So much for being a savior of the universe." She mumbled from where she was on the ground. 

As the ion canon chrged again, Olive closed her eyes, bracing for impact and death. When it didn't happen, she cautiously opened her eyes. When she couldn't see anything, she scrambled back to where Coran and Allura stood. She was speechless when a giant robot man emerged from the smoke surrounding the Galran ship.

"Voltron." She whispered, grinning. A giddy feeling blossomed in her chest. 

After watching them destroy the enemy ship, the three non-paladins rushed down to the main entrance. 

"Good work, Paladins!" Allura started, before Olive burst past her.

"That was insane!" She excitedly hurried to Hunk, ready to ask him all of her questions.

Lance smirked at Allura, "Thanks, pretty lady."

Olive paused her relentless stream of questions and praise just in time to hear Shiro ask: "How did we do it?"

Hunk shrugged, "I was just, like, screaming the whole time. Maybe that did it."

Allura quickly tarnished the elated mood, "We won the battle, but the war has only just begun. I'm afraid Zarkon will not stop until he gets these Lions."

"Good thing you Paladins know what you're doing, because you're going to have to form Voltron again and again."

"Totally! Wait, what?" Hunk frowned.

Lance was confused. "We barely survived forming Voltron this one time."

Coran grinned, "And you only had to fight one ship. Wait until you have to fight a whole fleet of them! It's not going to be easy being the Defenders of the Universe."

Everyone looked up to the Lions. It felt surreal. This was their life now. Fighting aliens and saving the universe.

"Defenders of the Universe, huh? That's got a nice ring to it."

( august 20, 2018 )