Chapter Three -- Broken

Your brain was flooded with questions, you tapped Nichole's shoulder, leaning in close to her ear, "Why is Diana here?" You looked behind Nichole, checking to make sure no one was listening.

  "Oh I guess he didn't tell you, he's getting married to her," She said softly. Your jaw dropped.

  "What?! But . . . But . . ." You immediately looked at the table as Andrew looked towards you, probably wondering what you were talking about. You wiped a tear from your cheek, 'O-Of course he is, why wouldn't he, they're both rich and popular families after all.' You thought to yourself. You barely even knew Andrew, why were you getting emotional!

  A butler came into the room pushing a trolley with lots of food placed strategically, the food looked amazing, the Turkey was cooked perfectly, the skin was brown with some shine showing it was coated in some type of oil, there were many other dishes only fancy rich people would know, you were eyeing the crepes.

  The butler gently placed the food on the table in the same way they were placed across the trolley, except spread across a wider area. He bowed and grabbed onto the trolley, strolling it out of the room. There was a brief pause before people started grabbing their food.

  As you ate you stared down Diana, you stared to intently that on multiple occasions, you dropped your food or accidentally missed your mouth and hit your cheek. Every time Diana looked over at you, your stare got even more intent, more often times then not, she would immediately look away. She whispered something to Andrew and he nodded.

  He stood up and adjusted his tie, "(Y/N), can we talk . . . outside for a second?" He avoided eye contact with you. You hesitantly stood up and followed him as he exited the dining hall and through a couple more doors until you and him finally arrived at the garden area.

  You smiled nervously, "W-What did you want to talk to me about?" You asked softly. He sighed and looked you in the eyes.

  "I don't want you scaring our guest . . ." He said, his voice had a different tone, it was weak, as if he didn't want to say it.

  "Andrew . . ." You looked down, not knowing what to say. "I know about the marriage thing," You stated.

  "I don't know what you're talking about," He replied, looking down to avoid eye contact.

  "Andrew, I know that's a lie, tell me, is that what you want?"

  "I'm gonna say again, I don't know what you're talking about." His voice got a bit more aggressive.

  "Tell me the-" Andrew interrupted you.

  "(Y/N)! Just shut up about it, why does it matter to you anyways!" He boomed. You were caught by surprise, mainly because you've never heard this tone from him. He walked past you and back into the manor, you turned around and watched him leave.

  "It does matter because . . . oh what the hell," You said to yourself, "I don't know anymore." You walked over to the fountain that stood in the middle of the court yard. You stared at the reflection of yourself and sighed. You hear the crunching of leaves and turned around, "Oh, hey Nichole."

  She would sit next to you, "Hey, you bummed out about the Andrew thing?" Her eyes made you relax a bit, you turned back to the fountain and put your hands in the water.

  "Yeah," You answered.

  "You know, our father is forcing him to do it, he basically owns our lives." She smiled causing you to smile back. "I want to show you something!" She stood up and stretched, you stood up as well.

  You both snuck through the halls, making sure no one saw you. You arrived at a stair case, it seemed to take forever to climb up but you finally reached the top. Nichole opened the door and you both walked through it, it was the roof of the manor.

  The sky was beautiful, stars filled the sky and the moon was a brilliant blue, she clapped, snapping you back into reality. You walked over to where she was and you gasped, the view was amazing, even more then the sky.

  "One day, I planned on escaping with my brother, when we were kids . . . seeing the outside world was our dream . . ." She sat down, "But of course, not everything goes as planned . . ." She looked at you, "Promise to keep Andrew safe, and write to me." She took out two tickets and smiled, "Train leaves tomorrow night, when you get off at the stop, find a place to stay, I heard there are some places that haven't been emptied yet, there should be some food there."

  You looked at her, completely baffled, "B-But I can't, I don't want to ruin something you've spent your whole life trying to do!" You tried to give the tickets back to her but she didn't accept them.

  "Don't worry about it, Andrew deserves it more then me, and he would be happier with you anyways." She stood up and walked towards the door leading back inside, "Don't take to much longer up here." She smiled and shut the door. You sat on the edge of the building.

  "Blytonburg is really pretty tonight," You said to yourself. The town was lit up, the forest surrounding the town was decorated in red and orange, the starry sky didn't match the beauty of the town. The moon was in a perfect position, looking as if it were being balanced on the tip of the bell tower.

  You took out the tickets she gave you, "I feel bad," You said to yourself, you were feeling guilty because Nichole spent her whole life wishing to be free and live her own life, but she basically gave her dream to you, her goal in life to you. You wiped a tear from your eye and exited the roof, going down the stairs was a lot easier then going up, when you reached the bottom you sighed.

  'And I'm lost again.' You though to yourself.