16.

i get out of my car and walk up to the front porch of an extremely familiar yellow house. i press the door bell a single time. a couple seconds later a woman in her mid thirties with a slender frame, short and curly blonde hair, and a happy smile upon her face greets me. the spitting image of a 1950's house wife.

"oh daniel hello! it's been a good minute since we last saw each other hasn't it? matthew is in his room."

i smile and thank her, then i head upstairs. i approach the only thing that could be considered 'out of place' in this clean cut suburban house, a large black door with the words 'keep out' painted in red. i walk right in.

i'm greeted with almost complete darkness and matt on his bed playing a video game. he doesn't even look up when he says

"yo sara. you can't just walk into a teenage boy's room without knocking. i could've been yanking it."

i laugh.

"well i'm not your sister but i am extremely glad i didn't see that."

he pauses his video game and looks at me with a smile on his face.

"danny you son of a bitch! long time no see!"

he gets up and hugs me.

"it's been like three days since we last saw each other and one since we've texted."

"that's five years in stoner time."

matt was indeed a hard core stoner. though i'd never seen him smoke i could always tell he was high when he came back with puffy red eyes and smelling like skunk. regardless of the smoking matt was the best kid you could ever have. good grades, never missed school, always listened to his parents, nice to everyone he met, he was an all around good guy. something about him made him seem older and wiser than everybody else despite only being 17. and ever since kindergarten it's always been me and matty. he knows me more than i know myself .

"so, what's the sich danny?"

"umm i need to talk to you about something. someone actually. so there's this guy......"