Chapter Eight: Canopy

Walking into the house, I saw that the inside of the house was just as magnificent as the outside. The hallway from the side door that we entered was full of old paintings, probably of the previous owners. The dark walnut hardwood floors were freshly polished, and were so shiny that I could see my reflection in them.

It was absolutely breathtaking.

I stopped walking, looking at one of the paintings on the wall. There was a stern looking man, who had a stern face similar to Mister Grumpy's, was standing in front of a chair that was occupied by a beautiful woman with a big, bright smile on her face. In the floor sat a young child and a large dog looking thing.

"Alpha Gilbert and Luna Agnes Adams." I jumped slightly at the voice. "They were the original owners of this establishment. They settled here in 1567. Their pack had completed the main house in 1572."

I nodded, turning my gaze from the old painting to the man beside me. "They are your ancestors?" These two and Jess shared the same last name, so what I had made was an idiotic educated guess.

"Yes," Jess replied, "they were the first to move here from England. They started their own pack here."

I nodded, not really all that sure what this man was talking about, or why I was even listening to him with my sleeping son in my arms instead of running for the hills, well woods in this case.

Maybe it was because of the wolves and animals that I had seen and heard while we were driving onto the property.

Definitely because of the unsafe and scary animals outside

"What is a pack? And Alpha and Luna? You and Stan have mentioned them..."

Why am I not terrified out of my mind? Am I going insane as well?

"A pack, a pack is a family. My family, and yours now. Many of the pack members live here, in the main house. They mostly have their own rooms. If they mate and want a family of their own, they buy or build houses on the pack property." Mister Grumpy didn't seem happy about having to tell me about this.

Not my problem.

I nodded, but didn't speak as Jess began to walk again. "My pack is called the Native Blood Pack, named by Luna Agnes herself. I am the alpha of this pack, which means that I am the leader of this pack, almost like how your president is the president of your country. But, since we originate from England, our system of government is more like theirs. Alphas are born into their position, not chosen. They do, however, chose their mates. Their mate, whether it be a male or female, is the Luna of the pack."

There was that word again. Mate.

"So, since you made me your mate, does that make me the Luna? Is that why Stan called me that?" I asked as we stopped, Jess opening the door to some room.

Beautiful. A magnificent foyer. High ceilings, the same hardwood flooring, crown molding.

I couldn't even get a real good look at the foyer, thanks to Mister Alpha. He somewhat gently placed his hand on my back and began to lead me on.

"Yes, I have marked you and claimed you as my mate. I do apologize for that. It was not intentional. I would rather not have a human as a mate." Rude. "I was expecting to mate with one of the neighboring packs when she was old enough so I could unite the two instead of me challenging that old Alpha for his title."

I just nodded, walking up the stairs along with the bored looking Alpha.

"Christopher is my beta, which is my second in command. Andrew is my Gamma, third in command. Stan is my Delta, fourth in command. If something were to happen to me or I was away, they would take control of my pack, in that order."